SmallFry asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

How do you stop a dog spraying?? (scent marking)?

He has a one year old (just) Jack Russell.

He has just started spraying outside and occasionally does it in the house.

I believe if you get them castrated they stop but at this present moment i do not want this done as i may wish to breed from him in the future!

Update:

laine - did you not read what i said - i want to breed from him so why would i get him neutered?????

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

JRTs are a dime a dozen. We just had a puppymill bust for them here. Get him neutered. Don't breed unless you know what you're doing.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Neutering to prevent marking must be done before the problem begins now you need corrective actions. Have him neutered and get a spray to deter the behavior. The biggest issue is that you must be persistent with the training

• Collie
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Dogs will scent mark I'm afraid. Particularly if there is another male dog in the near vicinity.

The fact that the dog is fouling indoors means that your house training left something to be desired and should be done again!

Source(s): 45 years experience with dogs, including thirty years as a Police Dog Handler. Writer of "One Dog and her Man - The Life Of Police Dog Bess."
  • 1 decade ago

It is the most natural thing on earth for a dog to want to mark its territory, and to them, it is their way of saying to the world, “Hello, I was here, smell the scent that belongs to me!”

As normal as this behavior is to all dogs, it may be hard to accept for dog owners, for it is not a characteristic that can be curbed easily. One’s house gets soaked with the pet dog’s urine, and it can be very annoying as some items may be costly to replace, and one may get tired of constantly having to clean up the mess. Being a dog owner, you may sometimes find your prized shoes or imported rugs soaking and stinking from your dog’s habit. A dog finds new items that has unfamiliar odors to mark, and to him, he is just doing what he thinks is right.

Here are some tips that can assist you in cutting down on your dog’s habit:

Instead of treating the symptom, prevent the situation from occurring is more effective. The most effective way to prevent your dog from urinating around your house is to fix him. Bring your dog to a veterinarian to be neutered or spayed. That will cause the body’s chemicals and hormones that is pumped up by sexual heat to reduce by a certain amount. This way your dog’s attitude will change, but remember to consult your veterinarian about the changes.

Another way that may work is to place items that your dog respects in specific area that he likes to urine at. For example, put his food and water dish near the place that he had marked and it may prevent him from urinating at that area again. Dogs are clean animals, and they do not like to dirty the places where they eat and sleep.

If your dog is urinating to mark is territory too much due to fear and high stress levels, you need to consider utilizing drug therapy. Maybe your dog was abused by the owner before you, or other possible situations that may cause such behaviour, but drugs have proven to work in some cases that may be severe. Check with your veterinarian about the alternatives, and make sure you are aware of the possible side effects that may affect your dog.

http://www.puppydogobedience.com/3-tips-to-prevent...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Daughters dog has been neutered two years ago, spends lots of time at our house. A friends puppy came last week and when Daughters dog came to stay it peed up the chair leg o to the carpet. First time ever. Help!

• 1 decade ago

Sorry, neutering is the only thing that will truely help.You can try a belly band. These are sold in some pet stores, or go online. If he is urinating more alll the sudden, he can possibly have a urinary tract infection or (rarely) a prostatitis.

Source(s): veterinary technician
  • Me
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

If you decide you are going to breed him, make sure there is a market for them. Currently our animal shelter has three JRT'spurebred} and one mixed.

• minime
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

if you do not wish to get him done just yet then i am not sure what will stop him, there are some sprays on the market that are supposed to stop them from doing it but i am not sure how good they are, you could always just ring your vet and ask to speak to either a vet or one of the nurses they may be able to advise you.

• 1 decade ago

Get him neutered. He should have been neutered before he started marking.

• 1 decade ago

Put a size 10 foot up him

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.