Why hasn't the U.S. ratified the Equal Rights Amendment?

• Tara P
    Favorite Answer

There are only a handful of states that have yet to ratify it. Shockingly, most people don't understand that women are not entitled to the same protections as other minorities. The passage of the ERA would make it more difficult to discriminate against women as it would make distinctions based upon gender scrutinized to the same degree as those based upon race.

The ERA was introduced in every session of Congress between 1923 and 1970, and it almost never reached the floor of either the Senate or the House of Representatives for a vote—instead, it was usually "bottled up" in committee. Hmm, wonder why?

Even though the ERA was finally passed in 1972, I remember the ratification battles over it, since I was in high school. The Huge Fears I recall were of the horrific dangers of unisex bathrooms, which we happen to have now without total destruction of our society and the "equal" horrors of women in combat, which still isn't officially sanctioned by Congress or by the courts (despite several law suits). Women are exposed to combat situations now as well, and are returning in body bags, and once again, society is still in place. These were just a couple of the "scare tactics" used to stop the ratification of the ERA.

-Usually I hear how perfect the law and the enforcement of the 1963 Pay Equity Law is, as justification for forgetting about the ERA. But since 1.6 million women are suing Walmart today in the largest class action suit for sexual discrimination in wages and promotions, I see a great deal of room for improvement-with the ERA "helping" the 1963 Pay Equity law, since it isn't protecting women's right to equal pay for equal work.

-In Congress, supporters of the ERA have re-introduced the amendment in Congress every term since 1982 without success. It was introduced again this year. Many different feminist groups continue to work on the ERA today-but since a lot of the same people are in the US Senate and House that have been there for decades, I don't foresee much progress occurring, since big business, insurance, religious groups, and assorted other conservative organizations are worried how the ERA could affect them, which means they're scared and will fight it with everything they've got.

Because right-wing movements like the Eagle Forum lied to keep it from being ratified. Almost everything Schlafly feared happened without the ERA, and as soon as someone suggests reviving it, she comes out with a new set of falsehoods. My favourite is the claim that the ERA would end Social Security benefits for housewives and widows. Obviously she doesn't seem to realize that equal rights for women covers ALL women.

Yes, WHY HASN'T it been ratified by "all " the states since the idea surfaced in 1923? Men are afraid of outspoken, informed strong and intelligent women. After nearly 30 yrs. we were only allowed to vote, what is at stake is the the equal protection clause; wiping out all forms of discrimination, i.e. RACE, RELIGION, CHOICE, WAGES,HOUSING, ETC.. THIS WOULD GIVE US EQUALITY AS A HUMAN STANDARD NOT JUST AS MAN'S EQUAL TO VOTE. IMAGINE, SOMETHING THIS BASIC IS STILL BEING DISPUTED BY OUR GOVERNMENT.

Source(s): AFLCIO , ERA , CONGRESS , AND HISTORICAL RECORDS
  • Junie

That's a great question. On it's surface, it's pretty bland and unremarkable. I think that even without it's passage, the legal mindset has changed to the degree where it might as well be the law. However, I always found it curious that it didn't pass. I never quite "got" how its passage would somehow force women into abadoning their families, or becoming a sort of monster, as Ms. Schaffley always insisted.

i'm not sure. i know that we haven't ratified CEDAW because something about it is "limiting to our economic growth" which i don't understand.

Simply stated, because it is only a symbolic change. Between the 14th Amendment's guaranty of equal protection for all people and various federal statutes, it would do nothing.

Source(s): I'm an attorney

O.o? Wasn't that ratified in 1964?

It superfluous and redundant. All U.S. citizens already have equal rights.