Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 1 decade ago

Any rental car companies that will allow an experienced teenager to drive the rented car with parent?

I want to rent a car for about 2 weeks that me and my college freshman son will drive. I will be present 100% of the times when he is driving. I am interested if any rental car companies in CA will allow us to rent a car. All good things apply good grades, no tickets etc. If you made such a rental, you will be the best person to answer this question.

Favorite Answer

if i'm not mistaken any licensed driver can drive the rental if you are present, just let them know to add him to the driver option but it might be pricey.

this is pasted from Budget rent a car site:

Can someone else drive a car that I rent?

Yes, you may add additional drivers to your rental agreement when you pick up your rental. At corporate-owned locations, additional drivers must present a valid, acceptable driver’s license, a valid and acceptable credit/debit card, be at least 25 years old (see below for underage exceptions), complete an Additional Driver Form, and may be required to pay an additional driver’s fee. At corporate-owned locations, exemptions from the additional driver fee include:

The renter’s spouse. To qualify for this exemption, at the time of rental, if the renter states that the additional driver (regardless of gender) is his or her spouse, mate, life companion, significant other, or domestic life partner, the additional driver will be treated as a spouse.

A qualified employer or co-employee, while engaged in a business activity with a renter renting on their employer’s Budget Corporate Account Number (BCD).

The licensed companion driver of a non-licensed renter with a disability. All other additional drivers will be charged $10 per day with a maximum charge of $50 per additional driver per rental (except at New York locations where the fee will be $3 per day, and Nevada where the fee will be $5 per day). There’s no additional driver fee in California.

When an insurance company is accepting billing for insurance replacement, drivers that are the spouse/significant other, company employee/co-worker (for company vehicle replacement rentals), or family member on the policy of the insurance company accepting billing, may be added if at least 21 years of age –18 years of age if the company is Allstate, American Family, Bristol-Myers Squibb, CCRG Claims, Progressive, State Farm, Travelers.

Exceptions to the underage policy for additional drivers: At corporate-owned locations, the minimum age for an additional driver is 25 with these exceptions:

Additional drivers who are employees of the same company, on company business, and renting with their employer's BCD corporate rates, may be 21 years of age, or may be 18 years of age if employed by one of the following companies or their affiliates: Agilent Technologies, Nortel Networks, Northrop-Grumman, PricewaterhouseCoopers, State of Oregon, State of Washington, or U.S. Government on travel orders.

Additional drivers who are inbound tour voucher customers (customers who don't reside in the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico or Canada AND are renting on an inbound tour rate) must be 19. In Hawaii, additional drivers who are inbound tour voucher customers must be 21. If the additional driver is 21-24 with a locally-negotiated tour (rather than a corporate-negotiated tour) or wholesale voucher, a $10/day underage fee applies unless it's included in the rate.

Rules at licensee-owned locations and locations outside of the U.S may vary. It’s always best to check the terms and conditions on your online reservation confirmation or on the location information page to see which rules apply for your selected location. Then, if you still have questions, please contact us.

I might suggest that you visit this site where onel can get quotes from the best companies: http://insurequote.info/index.html?src=2YAloB8ear6

RE :Any rental car companies that will allow an experienced teenager to drive the rented car with parent?

Follow 2 answers

consistently purchase coverage while renting a vehicle or living house for trip. you won't in any respect desire it,yet once you do it extremely is going to be a godsend. working example we renting a coastline living house for a week, final day fixing breakfast we ended up putting a warm skillet on the counter that when held a potholder which had slipped to the floor. We took photographs of the wear and tear and called the condo workplace at present. The $a hundred we paid in coverage saved us a 3000 fee for a clean slab of counter good.

• wanda

1

Source(s): Wholesale Suppliers http://wholesaledirectories.latis.info/?H5R6
  • noreen

The same question pops up again

Get insurance quotes

so happy that I found this question already answered! Its like you read my thoughts!

I'm curious too