Re-marriage?

This is probably a dumb question

and I should already know the answer, but I don't.

My fiancee and I have decided that we want to get

married through the court first, seeing as how we

only have 30 days to do so after receiving our

marriage license.

My question is: When we decide to have our ceremony/

dinner for our families (since we are not religious) next

year, would this be considered getting re-married?

Maybe if you didn't read correctly,

we're not religious, so having

our wedding in the church wouldn't

make sense to either one of us.

We don't want a large, materialistic

wedding...that is why I ask.

And I don't need lectures from

you religious folk.

I respect your beliefs, so respect mine.

Thanks.

Favorite Answer

No, it's a delayed reception. I did this as I got married in December, and winters are hard in the midwest. So we had the reception in the late spring so everyone could easily attend.

*added*by the way, I'm a hard-core Jesus freak, and I didn't spend a truck load in a church wedding either! I got married at the county court house. God is everywhere, and no true believer in Christ can box up the Lord in a Church! For those of you who say that Church is the only place that the Eyes of God see a wedding, then Adam and Eve were never married! And the whole world must be b@$tards.

Sorry, just had to vent there.

So, essentially you want to get the legalities out of the way and then later have more of a celebration, right?

Let people know this on the announcement/invitation. That's the first thing!

Second, make it a PARTY!

Celebrate your joy! The marriage is done...legalities taken care of. This will be a celebration and I suggest that you have fun with it and make it memorable.

Involve your mom's in the planning...and the rest of your family members, too.

Instead of hiring a caterer, put that money into your entertainment budget and get all your cook-savvy relations to bring something...a *pot luck* reception. (I have been to a few and WOW do some people let all the stops out to show off their culinary skills!)

In fact, to make it the most memorable wedding/reception ever, spend as much as you can on one thing:

Entertainment, i.e., the band!

Other option (which a friend of mine did): She got married at the courthouse, and then about 3 months later, she, her new husband and their immediate families flew to the Bahamas for the wedding ceremony/reception they didn't have upon their initial vows. It wasn't that pricey (actually cheaper than the originally planned formal wedding and reception) and everyone had a wonderful time!

No it is not considered getting remarried. Many couples get married through the court first, for whatever reason that they want it done quickly. They later have a wedding ceremony and reception to celebrate with their friends and families. You can say vows again, the only difference is there is no license to sign because you are already married. Hope this helps. Congrats.

Here's a thought. Get married w/Justice of Peace, then you are legally married. When budgeting/timing allows, have the actual reception. Since you already legally married, you wouldn't have to say vows unless you wanted to, and at that point you would call it a renewal of your vows, and if you have trouble finding an officiant to do it, just have a friend stand in....OR better yet, the two of you can say your own vows to each other without any body standing up prompting you. One way to handle this with family & friends is to send out a marriage announcement, with a note telling them that reception or public ceremony and reception to be announced soon. Good Luck.

• Avis B

Simply put, you are just having a "second wedding ceremony." You can call it a "remarriage" if you wish but it is definitely NOT a "renewal of vows." I must caution you: there are alot of officiants (non-religious and religious) who will not "marry" a Bride and Groom a "second" time. And why? Because they believe a couple can only get married once. Answered by: A Certified wedding specilaist / A Professional bridal consultant / A Wedding ceremony officiant

• Mrs D

I wouldnt think so. Perhaps considered renewing your vows.

You could always just have a small dinner with family on the day you marry through the courts. Just a thought.

Best of luck & congrats ;o)

No not remarriage, it is called vow renewing. There is nothing required for this just what you plan. I got married in a civil ceremony in October and had a wedding in April.

LOL! This is almost amusing. If your not religious, why bother with the wedding ceremony? Go to the justice of the peace and have at. Good luck, looks like your going to need it. Exchanging vows in the presence of God should have at least a little meaning to you. Just because you have a piece of paper saying your married is not going to make a marriage. You're going to need alot more than that. Talk to your folks about this. I'm guessing you two are going to have the 'ceremony' for the benefit of friends of family? That's not the purpose of it. If you can't understand this, then you have no idea what the wedding ceremony is. Talk to your folks about this also. Like I said, good luck. Yer gonna need it.

Bear

edit: Ok, so you've clarified your belief. Your not getting a lecture. You asked a question and I'm giving you an answer. You obviously have not understood the meaning of a wedding ceremony. Of course it has to do with religion, But that's ok. I'm not judging you, that will be between you and your maker. I just wishing you both the best of luck. Without religion, you're gonna need luck. You opened the door by posting a question on a public forum where anyone can answer. I'm also willing to bet you haven't asked your Mom about this?

I would have to say no as the act of marriage is when you get your certificate and the actual wedding is just a ceremony to celebrate the marriage.

wouldn't dream of lectureing to you, seems you want to get tax benifits, well thats how i read it, least this way your in an out before 5 pm, heck if you hurry you mite not hit traffic, okay could just go to broom closet to consemate your marriage, oh forget that, you say were not religous what does that meen? you don't beleive in god or you do you just don't practice? personally, i think you have right idea, why bother with marriage at all? isnt like your living in sin or anything, an hey if your pregnant don't worry bout that either people from movie omen 3 will get ahold of you.......you love this person?....love is faith......and were does faith come from?, decide if you gettin married for all the tax braks or because you love them,...then make the right choice! I wont say God bless to you, that would be lectureing, but i'll pray for you anyhow!