jenn asked in Beauty & StyleMakeup · 1 decade ago

What is the shelf life of a fragrance?

Does it matter if it has never been opened from it's sealed packaging? Does it matter if it is perfume, eau de toilet or cologne?

• Cara
    Favorite Answer

it depends on whether it was in the sun or not. i have had a few perfumes go rancid. most places will let you take it back if you have the reciept.

even after a few years.

I have had a bottle of Iron cologne by Stetson for over 18 years and it still has that same smell - so, I think it's all in the way you store it. Mine has been out of any light and in a sealed cabinet the whole time until I spray it but then it goes back into darkness.

• shelf life is about 2-3 years. it really depends on the perfume. my mom had some that she kept forever and they still stay the same. also keep in a cool place and not in light because that can alter the smell.

Never store in sunlight.

Never store where it is damp.

I know there is a shelf life, and it does matter.

When it's opened or sprayed of course the chemicals get going, and the chemistry changes.

• minus

It depends on how well it is stored. If you store it in heat it won't last it's average 6 months to a year.

i have had all my perfumes for years like more than 6 years and they're still just as good as they always were!

yes it dose if you want it to be strong new opened other wise let it sit for a month or too

just kidding ot dose not

five years