I need to get out of California! Where should I go?

My boyfriend and I have lived in California (mostly SoCal) our whole lives. We hate these shallow people, but we love the weather and the topography. I wish there were more green trees. I like a big city. Where should we move? Where shouldn't we move?

- We want to avoid severe weather (Extreme Snow or Hurricanes/Tornados).

- I want to have a great job, a great house and great friends.

- A major league baseball stadium is a plus.

Please help me out with specific cities and states and what the pros and cons are. THANKS!

Favorite Answer

Well, we could start by looking at MLB cities... that would give you:

Atlanta Braves (tropical storms)

Florida Marlins (tropical storms)

New York Mets (gobs of snow)

Philadelphia Phillies (a lot of crime in the city of Brotherly Love)

Chicago Cubs (Windy and Coooold)

Houston Astros (Hot, humid, and rainy)

Milwaukee Brewers (Coooold)

St. Louis Cardinals (Tornado alley)

Arizona Diamondbacks (Hot, hot, hot!)

Colorado Rockies (Gobs of snow)

Los Angeles Dodgers (Cali)

San Diego Padres (Cali)

San Francisco Giants (Cali)

Boston Red Sox (Gobs of snow)

New York Yankees (Gobs of snow)

Tampa Bay Devil Rays (Hurricanes)

Toronto Blue Jays (Cooooold)

Chicago White Sox (Windy and Cooooold)

Detroit Tigers (Coooold)

Kansas City Royals (Tornado alley)

Minnesota Twins (Coooold)

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (California)

Oakland Athletics (California)

That leaves:

Seattle Mariners

Texas Rangers

Washington Nationals

Cleveland Indians

Baltimore Orioles

Pittsburgh Pirates

Cincinnati Reds

I don't know a whole lot about many of these, but Seattle might not be a bad option... It's a beautiful city with lots of trees, and magnificient water ways. It's coastal, so it doesn't get too cold, but it does get a lot of rain.

Now for my personal bias: As a Cali native, I moved away from SoCal about three years ago to Boise, ID. If you're willing to sacrifice MLB, you will get:

o minor league sports (baseball, basketball, ice hockey, arena football.)

o top-ranked collegiate sports (BSU just won a BCS bowl game, and finished 4th in the BCS poll in 2006.)

o a top-ranked city (see links below)

o marvelous outdoor opportunity (world-class white-water, fishing, mountain biking, camping, hiking, etc),

o a very business-friendly climate with extremely low unemployment.

o very reasonable house prices (you'll salivate all over yourself compared to Cali prices)

o a conservative, family-value town

It is a smaller city, and about 350 miles away from Portland and SLC, it's way off the beaten path, but it has all of the conveniences you'll need.

So, I would stronly encourage you to take a look at Boise.

Source(s): Forbes' Best Places For Business: http://www.forbes.com/2004/05/05/04bestplacesland.... Money's Best Places to Live: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/200... Inc's Best Places For Doing Business: http://www.inc.com/magazine/20050501/bestcities.ht... Forbe's #1 best citiy to start a business -- or a career: http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/invest/forbes/... Frommer's best United States cities: http://www.newwest.net/index.php/city/article/book...
  • Ilona

Hotel California

No place in the world has weather as good as the coastal areas of Southern California.

Portland is nice, no "Extreme" weather and your still on the west coast. But they have shallow people too, not as much as S. Cal, but if you move to the wrong area you will be surrounded by them again.

Seattle was a good town for me for awhile, truth is that it didn't rain that much - it's the clouds ! You don't see the sun for almost half the year. And the people - very nice drivers, the best road manners in America, but rude in every other way. Also their very elitist. When you live in Seattle your sh*t doesn't stink.

If you can handle the desert weather then Santa Fe, New Mexico is really special.

I live in Chicaqo its a great city, we get great reviews, Got Mayor Daley for mayor, two nice and big stadiums, Nice places to eat nice places to shop. People from Cali thought we had it going on. We get lots of visitors from other citys and countries, lots of landmarks and it was by accident that I'm here. My parents van broke down long story and I was here all my life and love it. If I was to move it'll be other big cities like Texas, Georgia but I'm satisfied for now.

Consider living in Mexico, Baja, working in San Diego. As a native Californian, I can tell you that you will NEVER get California out of your heart.

Greensboro NC. And I used to live in Ramsey NJ which I thought was the best place ever, until I came to NC.

Short mild winter

Nice rolling foothills

Evolving job market

great cost of living

Sadly no MLB, but you can't go wrong with the Greensboro Grasshoppers, A-Ball affilliate of the Marlins

Try Colorado. The whole front range has been ruined by Californians moving there. I moved from Colorado for that reason.

I would recommend Boston, but it is pricey to live there. The Red Sox are great and there are many things to do in downtown, including major Art Galleries, Museums and nightlife!

Moab, Utah. City life is overrated.

Ramsey NJ the best place ever!