Question to any Civil Engineers out there?

Hi, I'm in college right now and my major is civil engineering.

1)What kind of work do you do on a daily basis, and is it exciting?

2)Do you get to interact/mess around w/ your coworkers for fun? (or is it a strict serious boring type of job)

3)Also what minor degree do you recommend for me to go along with my civil engineering degree? (business or criminal justice?)

Thanks in advance for your input/advice!

Favorite Answer

I'm an EIT(engineer in training) at a structural engineering firm.

As a civil engineer student, you have a variety of specialties within your major to choose from. There is environmental, structural, water resources, geological, and general... At some point, usually your junior year, you will take electives in one of these directions.

I draft and design various structures all day... Using calculations and programs, you create a building that fits into what an architect envisions. I find it creative and challenging.

The interaction between clients and yourself should usually be professional, no matter what job you are in. However, as you build a relationship, there is plenty of room for jovial conversations.

As a recommendation for a minor... Well, business is always useful, as most civil engineers start up their own firms after gaining experience. Although, within the next decade, programing within our field will be very, very useful. You could also major in geological science, if you had any interest in soil analysis.

Good luck!

1) I work for Zurn Industries in the Flo-Thru division. My work is in the hydraulic engineering discipline of civil engineering. My official position is that of a Sales Engineer. Daily I am interacting with contractors, engineers, and sales representatives (ours) disucussing the options and solutions for drainage problems. I also work in the design of new products, improving flow dynamics, and concrete design.

My daily activity is a mix of design, problem solving, plan reviews, and product development. This mix is what keeps it interesting for me.

2) Being in the Sales Engineer job, I am constantly interacting with my co-workers. I think that you will find it is nearly impossible to find an engineering firm where you are going to work by yourself in a corner with no interraction.

As for the messing around, that is a person by person decision. Some people are more open to casual conversation and joking around. What you need to keep in mind is that if you upset the people around you, your job will become more stressful as they become less cooperative.

My office is relatively young and likes to have fun. But there are times when professionalism must take priority over the desire to have fun. It is a fine line that you have to try not to cross.

3) Before you get a minor, figure out which discipline of Civil Engineering you want to be in. Take as many courses as you can within the civil field. Having a definite focus is more important than a minor. Take business classes, but not when you could be taking engineering classes.

Professional involvement is much more important than a minor. ASCE, Chi Epsilon, Tau Beta Pi, and other engineering related professional organizations are more relevant than a minor.

civil engineering is a big field with multiple possible specialties. most people associate civil engineering with construction, think bridges. but there are other fields such as soils, highway, railroad, hydraulics/hydrology (i.e. fluids, open channel flow, rain, flood analyses)...there is water treatment / wastewater treatment which are water quality related. jobs can have an 'outside' or field component which appeals to some that you'd have a harder time finding with other engineering degrees. every city has at least one and likely more than one engineering company which does work for them such as their water/waste treatment plant, which every city needs for example. in general its not the highest paying of the engineering careers but if you like to build things and be outside it may be a good fit. i like the idea of adding some kind of finance component to any engineering degree so students can understand the time value of money. also consider adding a project management track to your education to help you organize and manage big projects. Good luck.