More Fuel Efficient To Draft A Semi?

Taking a page from NASCAR physics, is it more fuel efficient for a driver to "draft" behind a semi-trailer? If the semi is pushing through air, that should reduce wind resistance for a car behind it right?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It's definately not worth the risk. Saving a few bucks on fuel isn't worth your life.

Just like Jen said, a blown tire will seriosuly ruin your travel plans. More blown tires result from overloaded or neglected semi trailer tires than anywhere else. Ever see the tire parts lying on the side of the road? They usually always from a semi trailer tire. Imagine a 100+ pound flap of rubber and steel flying into your car's windshield at 65 mph. Definately don't want to find out what happens.

Most states also have laws against following too closely. If you take a long trip on an interstate, count on being pulled over and cited by the highway patrol. The cost of the ticket will be much more than the fuel savings.

A highway patrol officer will see you if you draft close to a semi. Highway patrol are especially on the lookout for semis and large trucks, as a fair amount of them tend to have safety violations, such as underinflated or bald trailer tires, bad trailer electrical connections (e.g.:trailer brake lights don't work...etc.)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Driving that close behind another vehicle isn't worth the risk - you can't see whats ahead and he may need to stop. A tire blowing out into your windshield can be deadly (yes tires have killed people on the road) . plus why make it so the driver of a HUGE vehicle can't see you?? You'd probably have to do it for like 300 miles to even notice a difference...sounds like fun at the usual 65mph they are governed at.

• 4 years ago

Maruti a celebrity, seems to be on the suitable with human beings quoting around 39 km pl below try situations. you may only seek for 'a celebrity mileage' in google and you will locate comparable mileages given in countless places.

• 1 decade ago

I've heard the it works, but as the people say, it is very dangerous. The truck definitely blocks the wind resistance from slowing your car down and making it work harder, but not sure if the risk is worth the reward!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

physics wise-yes, since the rig has created a virtual pocket of no resistance to your car,but like others have said,it leaves you no margin of error if something happpens ahead of the semi

• 1 decade ago

It works, but you would have to be so close, ten feet or less, that it would be dangerous. Farther than that and you get into the turbulence area. Plus all the other reasons given so far.

• 1 decade ago

It may be an extremely slight advantage, but does it outweigh the chance of you rear-ending one??? I doubt it.

• 1 decade ago

That is a totally careless thing to do in respect to safety.

• 1 decade ago

It really works,I've done it myself,but it's very dangerous.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.