Oracle, SQL, MS Access...?

#1. Can you tell me the difference between all of them.

#2. which is better & why (People told me the Oracle is the mother of DB's)

#3. Whats DB2 ?

#4. How long will it take me to master anyone of them...

I mean Master, do it with few mistakes..

#5. Which one of them pays you alot (incase of freelancing or a real permanent job).

#6. Is MySQL different than SQL ?

#6. Which one of them are open-source & which of them are not (Please specify an IDE for each of them so I can download)

Very greatful in advance

Favorite Answer

1. Oracle and SQL Server are enterprise level relational database system. They both do the same thing but from different vendors, Oracle from Oracle Systems and SQL Server from Microsoft.

Access is relational database system but for desktop computers where the data is unlikely to be accessed by more than 10 concurrent connections. Access can be used as a front end to other database systems and includes tools to create interfaces (forms) and reports.

2. Both Oracle and SQL Server are better than Access but the differences between Oracle and SQL Server are more subtle and wouldnt mean much to you at this level.

3. DB2 is IBM's Relational Database System

4. Access you can master in a few weeks, add in a few more weeks if you want to learn everything about VBA but thats not just Access but will work for all of MS Office.

For Oracle and SQL Server, it will take months to get most of the stuff down and to master probably years.

5. Oracle DBAs probably earn the most. Many secretaries know Access so you'll get next to nothing for just knowing that.

6. MySQL is an open source relational database system. It is primarily used as a backend for websites. SQL is an acronym for Structured Query Language. All databases use SQL to create queries although there are ususally a few commands that are vendor specific.

7. Only MySQL is opensource. The others all cost a fair bit although you do get SQL Server Express included with Visual Studio for testing purposes.

1) ORACLE: very technical, generally at the fore front of database design, yes, this is the mother of all DB's. Oracle 10g is currently their latest version - in a nut shell, 10g is self optimizing, it determines the most efficient way to run itself based on its own activities.

SQL: not as bleeding edge, but because of its owner (MS), it has a large customer base, is also scalable.

MS ACCESS: not a "true" database. This is more of a self contained database that allows you to create user interfaces, reporting, and queries for quicker and easier than any of the above. (Maximum size 2GB - may be larger with version 2007). Slow slow slow (in comparison).

PostgreSQL & mySQL: There's always a debate between these 2, I would put them on the same level and equate them as open source alternatives to MS SQL.

DB2: This is IBMs baby. Not familiar enough with this, other than pulling data from it every now and then. I would guess it's something between MS SQL and Oracle.

2: Depends on what you need to do and how much money you have. Personally, I would leave access to the small businesses and corporate analysts to use for quick analytics. Otherwise, I would suggest one of the open source versions, I would never purchase MS SQL just because I'm cheap and can do everything in the open source versions that I need to. DB2 and ORACLE are probably (well, ORACLE for sure, going to come with a hefty price tag - though ORACLE does offer a free version, but limits the size it can reach).

3: See above.

4: Access - not so long - 1-2 years of intense use - but I'm talking MASTER - VBA included here - this is the scripting language you can us in Access.

ORACLE: there are few Oracle MASTERs in the industry and they've been using oracle for many many years. Count on a long time - this is a huge beast. The default tables that come with oracle are in the hundreds I believe!

The others will be somewhere in between the 2.

5. If you're an experienced (not a master) ORACLE analyst/developer etc. I can only tell you that I know of some making $400,000/year consulting.

6. MySQL is different than SQL. But if you know one, it's not hard to pick up the other.

6 (really 7) Go to http://www.mysql.com/ and down load their database and admin tools. The GUI interfaces you can get are very good. And cost nothing but download time!

Enjoy!

The Data Analyst - http://www.squidoo.com/thedataanalyst

-- Too many to list.

-- Really depends on what you want to accomplish with the database

#3. Whats DB2 ?

IBM's database

How good are you in learning? What is your background ? Did you ever work with databases? What kind of experience you had with any of the databases? Did you take a database course ever? Do you know what relational databases are? What is your knowledge of database concepts?

-- Depends on what role you will be playing in a job. Would you work as a database administrator or data modeller ? Which company would you work at?

#6. Is MySQL different than SQL ?

MySQL is a database...SQL is a language

MySQL is open source. Almost all of the databases have a free download version or free scaled down version.

Please do not ask vague questions. You cannot assume a person who knows nothing about you to answer questions like these. Please please please think before your post a question. Just because somebody is reading you cannot ask anything you like...

Very greatful in advance

• ?

In many companies, like mine, These will all be used at the same time, depending on the need and budget given to each project. Oracle is EXPENSIVE, and the developers highly paid. SQL Server is not nearly as pricey, and the developers more moderatly paid. MS Access is free with the professional office suite and simple enough for most people to learn how to "develop" small projects on thier own. So the following usually holds true: Oracle DBs may be used to house the bulk of a corporations business critical data, and of course historical data; while the individual business segements may use an SQL SERVER DB for day to day processing and reporting, and various departments may use thier own MS Access Dbs for thier own custom needs (Why would You waste15k to build an Oracle DB for tracking employee vacation days? Or tabulating the Call stats for 12 Customer Service operators?). Some small to mid-range business have been able to (or needed to for thier budget) run entirely on MS Access, while some have spent the money to have an SQL Server DB built. Most large companies will use ORACLE, though I have seen some who have a large number of SQL Server Dbs operating together to perform similar tasks.

Mysql, oracle, DB2, MS Access, MS SQL server, Post gres are all softwares for managing databases; all these softwares are called DBMS ( database management system)

sql is a standard language to create/insert/delete data from these relataional DBMS.

Of these only Mysql and Postgres are opensource.

Mysql is a good DBMS to start with and it won`t take much time to master it..ofcourse it depends on whether you are interested in administration /development.

This is a good place to start with: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/

and you can download it from: http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/