How good are Roper brand appliances?

Is anyone familiar with the Roper brand of appliances? I am moving into a house that has a Roper brand dryer and refrigerator. I have never heard of this brand before, but apparently they are owned by Whirlpool. The roper website didn't really tell me much information either. I am wondering if these Roper appliances would be of good quality. The dryer was made in 1996, and the fridge in 2000. I am concerned that I might have to replace these appliances soon if they aren't made to last long.

Favorite Answer

I have had a roper washer and dryer since 1998 had six children and three adults using the machine been moved twice not gently still running , in fact I just replaced the washer with a extra large Kenmore with more bells and whistles and my wife is complaining she likes the old Roper better,than the new Kenmore We are still using the Roper Dryer.. They have been alright only had one problem that was the electric water valve was clogged , but we have really hard mineral water, do not think it was the machine, I believe Roper is Whirlpools bargain brand less fancy but seem to work very good.. We also just bought 2 years ago a Roper refrigerator and have had no problems we also bought at the same time a Frigidaire freezer and have had to have the compressor and two other parts changed already, under warranty but still we had no problems with Roper.Machines are funny it is hard to say we have had no problems with are ropers hope you don't either

My first washing machine was a Roper. I purchased it from a true value store in 1990. It was the LARGEST capacity washing machine I have ever come across. Even the super capacity washing machines of today do not compare to the size. Sadly, something went wrong with the mechanism that spins the cycle. It lasted for about 13 years. I couldn't find a True Value store that still carried Ropers and ended up with a machine from Sears. It appears like most of the appliances built today are doing good if they last 10 years. My mother's washing machine lasted for at least 20 years. I don't remember what brand that was. I would buy another Roper if I could fine one and if I needed one.

• Doc A6 years agoReport

Lowes sells them

Roper Washing Machine

When I moved into my house in 2001, I bought a new Roper Fridge and Dryer at Lowes, since I didn't have a ton of money. What sold me was the "made by Whirlpool" label. . It's 2014 and both are still working great, like workhorses. There may be fancy high dollar appliances with wireless controls and more bells and whistles, but nothing works better than a simple appliance that doesn't fail you, and works day in, day out. That's saying alot.

I bought my 18cubit Roper fridge in 1999 and it never gave me problems until this year. Just bought a Kenmore from Sears today because I don't want to be taken by surprise when it does actually go out. Pretty good run for 16 years nowadays. The real winner was the one my parents bought when I was around four. It lasted probably 30 years. They don't make them like that any longer. I'm thinking of giving the Roper a little curbside memorial when the new one gets here.

Roper is the top of the line, at a lower price. You got good appliances.

A Roper Heritage

From its humble beginning in 1874, Roper grew from a single plant producing kerosene stoves into a respected Fortune 500 corporation. One hundred-thirteen years later the corporation was purchased, and became a proud part of the Whirlpool Corporation. Today, Roper still offers consumers a complete line of affordable appliances, manufactured by the quality-conscious and sold to the value-conscious. Products designed around the needs of your life and your budget.

I use to sell appliances back in the early 90's and Roper was one of the brands we carried.

Back then, I believe Roper was owned by Whirlpool and it was marketed as an entry level, value piece.

It was a no frills appliance with just the basics as far as features. They are considered low end, contractor special appliances. (cheap).

For every person telling you how wonderful they are I can find just as many who will tell you what a piece of SH#T they are.

My opinion is if they are working and suit your needs then you have a good machine.

I purchased a Roper Washer 2 years ago. It worked fine for about 1 1/2 years. Since then it will not spin the clothes out. The lid locks and will not release. It will not go through the wash and rinse cycle and will then go back through the same process 2-3 times before the lid will release. I do not ever want another Roper washer again.

My dad use to work in, and eventually ran, the engineering department for Roper's oven and range division and most of their products at that time were sold through Sears under the Kenmore label. In the early/mid 80's, it was bought out by GE who worked out a deal where Whirlpool got the Roper name.

When my dad worked there, we would get new prototype stove and/or microwave a couple times a year to put them through real life testing - with 7 kids, they got a workout! While the stoves we used weren't high-end products, Roper was always trying new features to enhance their design and they held up extremely well. Sometimes, my dad would trade out our 'test model' with a newer model and put the old one in a neighbor's house on a 'extended' test basis when their range died out. I know a couple of them were still going strong 20+ years later.

About 10 years ago, a power surge fried my 2 year old GE over-the-stove microwave and I found a Roper model for a cheaper price that fit in the space without any modifications so out of brand loyalty, I bought it. All in all, it does the job but I wish I would have spent the extra money to buy the GE model instead due to the lower construction quality of the Roper. I haven't looked at any Roper products in recent years but from what I've seen and experienced, I wouldn't recommend any of their products unless someone was financially strapped and couldn't afford anything else.

Love them, I bought a Roper washer and dryer in May of 1993. I remember paying $450 or so for the set. Sadly the washer just broke tonight, 9/10/2014. It started leaking water, the motor still runs. 21 years of use. I'd say I got my money's worth. I'm now looking for a Roper dealer to replace it. The dryer is still working just fine.

• Jerrell3 years agoReport

Lowes has them on sale for $299 a Piece for washer and dryer