Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 1 decade ago

What is the difference between Colon Cancer and Intestinal Cancer?

And how does one get screened for Intestinal cancer?

Colon cancer runs in my family and I have a colonoscopy every year. But I found out that a close relative has Intestinal cancer.

Favorite Answer

As other peole pointed out, "colon" cancer is a cancer specific of the large intestin, whereas "intestinal" cancer could affect any part of the intestine (including the small intestine, i.e. duodenum, ileum and jujenum).

If colon cancer runs in your family, you are likely to have FAP, or Familial adenomatous polyposis, an inherited colorectal cancer syndrome. People with the classic type of familial adenomatous polyposis may begin to develop multiple noncancerous (benign) polyps (growths) in the colon as early as their teenage years.

This cancer usually develops in the lower part of the digestive system, including the large intestine (colon) and rectum. However, the FAP syndrome could present a risk factor for the cancer of the small intestine (what your relative might have), therefore this person could also carry the genetic mutation that confers cancer predisposition (the APC gene, in the case of FAP).

Feel free to contact me for more information

Source(s): I work in a gastro lab and I am mainly interested in colon cancer prevention in populations at risk.

It is actually the same but it depends if it is in the small intestines or the large intestines. colon cancer means that the cancer is the large intestines. Intestinal is more on the small intestines.

Location. Google an image for "intestinal track" or "digestive system." Essentially your colon is at the end of your intestines - it's the last part of the digestive system that food passes through before leaving your body.

Sorry to hear about your relative.

"intestinal" refers to both the small intestine and the large intestine (colon)

intestinal cancer can be anywhere inside the intestines..the duodenum, etc.

colon cancer runs in my family too. i'm getting scoped soon.

i'm glad u do it annually.....good for you ( ;