What role did the Iranian hostage crisis play in Carter's political life?

How might the hostage crisis have been handled differently?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Pete W
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The Iranian Hostage Crisis WAS Mr Carter's political life wrapped up in a newspaper. I personally believe that the 'pussycat' attempt to free the hostages could have worked if the politicians stayed out of it.The force was too light, too tentative in its approach - if the military would have run it the collateral damage would have been higher but the hostages would have made it home. And we wouldn't have the current don't-blink contest being played out with them as we do now.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You can thank the Republicans for how that turned out. It was due to some very shady backroom dealing that the Embassy Hostages were held for at least a YEAR longer than they would have been held... just so Reagan could get the credit for freeing them...

Doesn't it strike you as strange that the hostages were freed just HOURS after Reagan took office? Obviously, there had been a 'deal' between the Republicans and the Iranians... and the Iran Contra scandal.. a REPUBLICAN scandal... finally surfaced a couple of years later.

AmeriKans don't KNOW history.. their own or anyone elses... and I would bet that most people who are 21 or under have never HEARD of the Iran Contra scandal

• 1 decade ago

Well, he did try to mount a rescue operation, but it failed miserably. Had it succeeded, he would have been hailed as a hero and re-elected. As it didn't, he was perceived as being weak, and lost to Reagan.

I guess he always could have gone against US policy and negotiated with the terrorist state that was holding the hostages to secure their release. Oh, wait, someone beat him to it. And since that someone wasn't in position to negotiate (yet) that was a violation of law, as well.

• 1 decade ago

It showed Carter to be basically spineless and totally unaware of the realities of international politics. It guaranteed that he would not be re-elected, which was a blessing to the United States and ultimately the rest of the world.

Source(s): 50+ years studying history.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.