Propranolol for the bar exam?

My doctor prescribed propranolol for the bar exam because last time I was a nervous wreck and couldn't concentrate during the test. Does anyone have an opinion on this one way or another or experienced side effects that lead you to believe this is not a good option?

Update:

Propranolol is also used for performance anxiety, in addition to people with blood pressure problems. There's nothing "off" with the question. I am generally just looking to hear about side effects that might have a negative impact on my performance rather than enhance it.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • dougie
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Hello Mixikitten

Yup, a big deal for you. I could understand that you would be anxious. It is thought, that due to the beta blockers influence upon anxiety, they hold the potential to be highly abused.

If you decide to use them, you should understand that the "fight or flight responce" that Inderal (propanolol) suppresses, serves our survival in stressful situations,very well. I hope that You aren't just underrating your actual ability and making a mistake, here : Will you need a beta blockade when you argue your first case ? second? third ? Maybe you can learn something with reference to how you react to stress. Lawyers may have an extra acute perception of stress in their adversaries ( a distinct advantage )

In fact, we learn and perform better if we are subjected to an appropriate responce to stress.

Having said this : Inderal is the oldest and shortest acting beta blockers and is used to treat many anxiety/mood disorders as well as cardiovacular disease: It's physiology is that of blocking the nuero-chemical responce to adrenalin( fast heart rate, increased blood pressure, sweating).

The well known side effects are fatigue, low blood pressure( potentilally too low), slowed heart rate, depression, decreased blood sugar(hypoglycemia).

If you do elect to use it, it is imperative that you make some trial runs: Possibley with a health care professional assessing your responce to this medication: It is a distinct possibility that you ,in an effort to succeed at this crucial event, could render yourself barely able to function, or worse ( dizziness, passing out, tired).

Although not an attorney, I had similar thoughts upon arguing jury trials (v. Attorney General) and Supreme Court (State). argument. I decided to "go it " without and soooooooooo glad that I did : Who needs another unknown in this process ??????..........You have the ultimate opportunity, at hand, to learn so much Mixikitten J.D........Stand and address the Bar !!!!!!!!!!!!

Best Wishes ! Be a good one !

Dougie

Source(s): Personal Experience Registered Nurse, 37 years Pro Se Advocate
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Snopes says she passed the Arkansas bar exam but failed the DC bar exam. They quote journalist Carl Bernstein. 551 of her peers passed out of 817 applicants. She never tried to take the DC bar exam again.

• Tulip
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Propranolol is a blood pressure med, something is definitely off with this quesiton.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

What should I avoid while taking propranolol?

Avoid drinking alcohol. It may increase your blood levels of propranolol.

Avoid getting up too fast from a sitting or lying position, or you may feel dizzy. Get up slowly and steady yourself to prevent a fall.

Purchase Propranolol : http://propranolol1.w3org.pw/yro6e

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.