self-injury (cutting) or suicide books or support groups?

Does anyone know of any (cutting) self-injury or suicide support groups (can be online or in person) or novels about people who self-injure? I am from MA if it is support groups that you attend in person. I am looking for support groups of people who are or have been actively suicidal or participate in self-injury. I have inquired about some, but the groups are about people who have lost someone due to suicide. Thank You????

Best Answer

I know a few novels:

Red Tears by Joanna Kenrick

Cut by Patricia McCormick

Kat's Fall by Shelley Hrdlitschka

The first one is my favorite, but it's only published in the UK. If you live in the US (or elsewhere) you'd probably need to order it from amazon.co.uk, or a bookstore that sells foreign books (I know that Powell's Books does, but Barns and Nobels and Borders do not), although amazon was cheaper than Powell's when I checked, even with international shipping.

The second is about a girl in a residential treatment center, and I really liked it, but as I've never been in residential treatment (or even any form of outpatient therapy) I have no idea how realistic it is.

The third is somewhat unusual in that the main character, who self-injures, is male, whereas the majority of cutters are female. Cutting isn't the main theme of the book (unlike the other two), but it's definitely a major part.

There are also lots of non-fiction books about cutting. I haven't read much of those as I find them boring, and since I'm dyslexic I have a hard time reading things that aren't written for kids. I'm reading Red Tears by Marilee Strong right now, and the first ten pages seem pretty good, but that's about all I can tell you.

As for support groups, I don't know any specific ones, but a doctor or counselor in your area could refer you to groups in your area. Even if you don't want to talk to a counselor, you can still call up a doctor, psychologist, or even a local hospital, and ask them about local support groups. Just look in the phonebook for someone who can refer you to groups.

P.S. For the answerer before me, DBT = dialectical behavioral therapy ;)

• fiVe

Steven Levenkron is a great author. He has a non-fiction book called Cutting, mentioned above, and a young adult fiction book called The Luckiest Girl in the World ... I think, something close to that. He knows what he's talking about.

I've been through all kinds of help for a injury disorder. I've cut since I was 12 (I'm 17 now). I've gone to 6 different hospitals and none of them have helped. My only suggestion (the only thing that has helped me) is to find a friend who has been through the same thing and talk to them about anything that bothers you.

You can email me if you like cassidy5036 at yahoo.com

your local clinic/hospital should have some information on this. also some people participate in what is called DBT (Dialectic Behavioral Therapy) it is supposed to help you with techniques to help stabalize moods and impulsive thinking/actions...i personally found no benefit from this but alot of people do.

Read the book

Cutting by Steven Levonkron

you should check into counseling, they will help you find a group.

ever heard of DBT? its a kind of group it stands for some huge words. sorry i cant spell them!

Source(s): ♥ hope i helped some!

an inpatient mental hospital can help, I've been in inpatient hospitals, and RTC's (residential treatment centers), it does help, but i haven't stopped cutting, burning, or trying to kill my self

1800 suicide. www.suicide.org