Pepsi Coke? Pop vs Soda?

I live in Michigan, unfortunately, and all my life all I've really only ever really heard soft drinks called "pop". Several years ago I had the chance to visit New York City. One of the people I was with, when asking for some "pop", was met with looks of confusion. I then learned/realized... show more I live in Michigan, unfortunately, and all my life all I've really only ever really heard soft drinks called "pop". Several years ago I had the chance to visit New York City. One of the people I was with, when asking for some "pop", was met with looks of confusion. I then learned/realized that in NYC, as well as many other Northern states, "pop" is called "soda". Why is this? Why the difference in name by geographic location?

I also learned that "pop" or "soda" is called "coke" in the South. So what if you order a pepsi? Is that called a "pepsi coke"?
Thnx.