can carrots really turn your skin orange??

like if i ate ten bags of baby carrots would i turn orange??

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, in an adult it would take a lot, and I mean a LOT, over an extended period of time, but this happens pretty often with babies if parents feed them lots of carrots, sweet potatoes, etcetera. Then you panic because it looks like jaundice, rush them to the pediatrician, and they look at you and explain it's a build up of beta carotene and the kid will be fine, just back off a little on the oranges & yellows and give him more green stuff. :)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Myth: Too many carrots will turn skin orange.

Fact: It can happen, but you would have to eat a lot, said Chris Rosenbloom, chair of the nutrition department at Georgia State University. In fact, you would probably have to start chugging carrot juice to get that orange glow. The phenomenon is called hypercarotenemia and the orange tint shows up mostly in the palms of the hands. Never fear, Rosenbloom said. This happens because the body does not use all of the beta-carotene from carrots and the resulting skin discoloration is harmless.

Source(s): cnn.com/interactive/health/0210/.../2002/content3.html
  • zeb
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Excess beta-carotene (from carrots, pumpkins) in the diet can give your complexion a more orange tint.

Carotene is often labeled as good for you. However, your body converts this yellow pigment to Vitamin A, and too much Vitamin A can be harmful to your body. Carotenemia or hypercarotenemia is excess carotene, but unlike excess vitamin A, carotene is non-toxic. Although hypercarotenemia is not particularly dangerous, it can lead to a yellowing of the skin (carotenodermia). It is most commonly associated with consumption of an abundance of carrots, but it also can be a medical sign of more dangerous conditions. A randomised trial into the use of β-carotene and vitamin A for prevention of lung cancer had to be stopped early due to the apparent increase in the incidence of lung cancer in those with lung irritation from smoking or asbestos exposure

• 1 decade ago

Ten bags... hard to say. However, carrots will turn your skin orange. Here is a link to someone doing this experiment on themselves: http://www.steelgirl.com/carrot.htm

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

TEN BAGS? Woah.

Probably not. The carotine in carrots is what turns them orange. Your nails and hair would only take on a slightly tangerine tint.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, the orange color comes from beta carotene which is water soluble and will accummulate in your system. So eating lots of carrots or other forms of beta carotene will make your skin appear orange.

• 1 decade ago

you would probably seem a little orange

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, but you would have to eat more than you are willing to.

• 1 decade ago

yes so make sure u eat lettus to maintain your green, and make sure u also eat chocolate to maintain your brown, that is clearly why we eat different things all the time to stop us from turning one color, man my dog eats the same food everyday and look at him hes brown

• mandie
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I have seen it in children but not sure how it applies to adults.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.