tmasterh asked in SportsAuto RacingNASCAR · 1 decade ago

Which makes more money each year, NFL or NASCAR?

Including ticket sales, television contracts, merchandising, advertising, partnerships etc.. Basically, I am trying to look at the "big picture" here. I want to know which makes more money, in total, the NFL and it's teams, or NASCAR and all it's teams. The answer is not just one aspect of sales (eg ticket sales), rather I would like to know which one makes more in total... to use an analogy---think of the answer in terms of the United States GDP... what's the GDP of NFL vs. NASCAR???

Favorite Answer

It's no where even close guys. NFL is much much bigger than Nascar. The NFL has an annual revenue of $5 billion, and has a 8 yr TV contract worth $17.6 billion. Nascar has an annual revenue of $3 billion, and the TV contract is worth $473 million a year. Yes Nascar goes for 36 weekends, 38 including the Budshootout and Allstar race, and the NFL only goes 17 weeks plus preseason and playoffs. But remember the NFL has 15-16 games a week, making somewhere over 600 games for the year. I am a huge Nascar fan, but NFL is still the cream of the crop when it comes to revenue. The guy below should maybe check his facts.

• Gene L

I love my NASCAR; but I know the NFL makes alot more money. I don't have stats or a source; but just take a look around sometime. How many people are in NASCAR gear and how many in NFL.

Yes we have 36 events a year with 100,000+ crowds at most events; but the NFL has numerous games in multiple locations with over 75,000 in attendence plus millions by TV.

I do have to say that the NFL definately makes more then NASCAR. Sorry NASCAR Nation.

• huxman

Nascar Revenue

The answers to this question are funny. The NFL has 4x the revenue of NASCAR(12 billion to 3 billion in 2015). Also, in terms of value it is even wider apart. An article in ESPN gave the value of a NASCAR team spot at between 5 million and 15 million. Half of the teams in the NFL are worth 2 BILLION dollars each. To compare them is laughable.

well Jr is the 9th in money making of sports figures, this includes endorsements, track sales of souveniers, salary etc, so I guess it just depends who you are. Maybe a driver will be on top one day. If you just mean salary for driving vs. playing football, you can go to nascar.com & it will show how much each driver has made so far this year. So far as teams, Hendrick gets 80% of his revenue from sponorship, companies may pay over 15 mil for primary sponorship & all those little logos on the car & uniform may pay 1 mil, plus manufacturer sponorship. So for winning races they prob don't depend on that like the drivers do for income...that being said, the source below has some good info on Hendrick & his income..as for NFL, not a fan so can't tell ya much on that end.

Nascar easily. NASCAR bases its whole foundation around sponsors and merchandising. An example is that most companies will invest fifteen to twenty million dollars into a car each year. There are almost fifty cars in the Nextel Cup circuit. That doesn't even account for the Busch and the Craftsman truck series. Also, Dale Jr. alone probably could outsell most teams in merchandise. He is so popular that they bring three or four haulers of merchandise to each race. Also, NASCAR attracts many more fans to the track each weekend at a higher cost. Most fans will stay for the truck, Busch, and Nextel Cup races. Yes, the NFL has a bigger TV contract, however, NASCAR is a marketing sport and if a company had to choose between putting its name on a stadium or sponsoring a Nextel Cup car, they would choose the car.

i would say nascar because the nfl has a 16 game season as to where nascar has a 36 race season not to mention also they have the busch series to compliment the nextel cup series

With nearly every race sold out at over 250,000 seats in most tracks, and 36 races per year, I'm gonna take a wild guess and say NASCAR!

Sports betting systems are sets of events that when combined for a particular game for a particular sport represents a profitable betting scenario

1