Is it better to be married when applying for a mortgage?

My fiance and I are getting married in September but we have already been preapproved for a mortgage and have started searching for a home. However, we found out we weren't eligible for a specific program (I live in RI), though a few of our married friends were approved for the same one. We have... show more My fiance and I are getting married in September but we have already been preapproved for a mortgage and have started searching for a home. However, we found out we weren't eligible for a specific program (I live in RI), though a few of our married friends were approved for the same one.

We have 'excellent' credit scores and everyone we have talked to has told us they don't know why we werent eligible since this particular program, almost everyone is eligible for.

Our mortage lender told us it has to do with our debt to income ratio, too many open accounts, student loans, etc. But all our friends have the same type of payments, even more. My fiance thinks that because, on our application, we put that we are 'single', and that is why we were'nt approved for it. Does anyone know if this makes sense at all?