Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 decade ago

California Gun Laws?????

I'm from Arizona and will be driving out to San Diego pretty soon. Does anyone know if I can take my pistol with me? I don't plan on holstering the gun on my body, just keep it in my glove box and in my motel room. Since in Arizona I can keep my gun loaded in my glove box as long as it is holstered. I am not to worried since what are the chances of getting pulled over and having my car searched... You can never be to sure though..

Favorite Answer

No, you cannot carry it concealed in your glovebox, and it cannot be loaded in your car.

From the CA Attorney General's website:

"HANDGUNS

California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1."

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/travel.php?PHPSESSID=558...

- Carl

Source(s): Law Enforcement Manager - 16 years on the job in CA

When traveling, you MUST have the gun AND the ammo separated and locked into different containers. Neither one can be in the passenger compartment.

So, if you are a responsible gun owner, go to the your favorite gun shop and but two locking cases.

And THINK - what is the purpose of the weapon in San Diego? You cannot carry as you can in Arizona (unless you have a concealed permit - and that's 'iffy').

California gun laws are bad -if you are moving permanently to California, you will be very unhappy.

PS If you are not over 60, White and driving a Buick - then be ready to be stoppped.

Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess it to any other place where he may lawfully possess such firearm if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

It is not just the odds of eing pulled over that you have t worry about if you decide to bypass the law. You not only have an agricultural inspection stop to deal with but you will have two to three border patrol security checkpoint depending if they are all open and operating at the time you go through. I should add tht it is not out of reason that they may ask you to open your trunk. California law requires it to be in a locked container and it is just not worth the risk on incarceration to not do so.

You may not have the firearm within reach of itself and bullets while transporting.

you can take your gun with you, but it has to be locked up and in your trunk or as far away from you as possible also if you have ammunition it needs to be in a separate container and not in a clip magazine or speed loader, they consider that a loaded weapon also if you have no trunk the ammunition needs to be lock in the glove box. i suggest you look at the gun laws before you take your gun to CA. their laws suck!

The answer to all gun laws can be found at Packing.org.

But to make it easy, do not take a gun to California. They do not behead you, but they come close.

Play it safe, we are talking about california here. Have it in a locked container when transporting and leave it in the trunk.

!! WARNING!! let your gun in your Arizona home, when you come to my home in California, and Mexico too. are illegal here