Opinions on fixing a big dent on the roof of a 1999 Dodge Dakota Sport?

During Katrina, a tree limb fell from a very tall tree that's on the side of our house onto my fathers Dodge Dakota, leaving a rather large dent on the roof (to get an idea of the size of the limb, it fell at least 40 ft and took 5 guys from up and down the street to move it off the truck). Now my father, being... show more During Katrina, a tree limb fell from a very tall tree that's on the side of our house onto my fathers Dodge Dakota, leaving a rather large dent on the roof (to get an idea of the size of the limb, it fell at least 40 ft and took 5 guys from up and down the street to move it off the truck). Now my father, being the lazy guy that he is, never bothered to get it fixed or asked his insurance company if they would cover it. Now, a couple of years later, my dad drives a Corvette and has given me the Dodge, but I would like to get the roof fixed, since some of the paint has chipped off and the exposed metal is starting to rust. I am a student without a lot of money, but I will be able to scrape up about $1500 to get this thing fixed and I'm not afraid to make a DIY project out of this to save money. One person told me to get a new roof, but thats out of the question, and my gut tells me to grab a sledgehammer and bang it out, but I dont want to risk damaging my truck. Can anyone help me?