Mortgage question, our broker screwed us around....?

My husband and I bought a house and we take posession before the deal on our house closes. There is a week inbetween and we were told we needed interm financing or a bridge mortgage to make up the different between the sale of our house and the posession of our new house. The mortage company made a huge mistake and... show more My husband and I bought a house and we take posession before the deal on our house closes. There is a week inbetween and we were told we needed interm financing or a bridge mortgage to make up the different between the sale of our house and the posession of our new house. The mortage company made a huge mistake and didn't calculate our bridge financing into our mortgage and because it was left to the last minute, we had to literally put together $17,000 in a matter of 4 hours or we risked loosing our new house and the $25,000 deposit we put on it. Because we didn't have the money (who DOES after just buying a $461,000 house?) we had to borrow from our line of creit and even had to ask my mom for money. Now we are $17,000 in the hole. My question is how much does it cost to re-finance a mortage and what is the penalty for that? Is there any way we can take that $17,000 out of our mortgage so we can pay everyone back?
Update: Also, we are Canadian, not American.
6 answers 6