Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

What was Dorothy Lange's greatest accomplishment?

Favorite Answer

Dorothea Lange (American, 1895–1965) is one of the few female photographers whose name is widely known. She is most recognized for her social documentary work during the Great Depression of the 1930s.

http://www.getty.edu/art/exhibitions/lange/

(Most people would recognize her famous black and white photograph of the migrant mother from 1936 even if they didn't know the name of the photographer.)

Description below is from... http://www.getty.edu/art/gettyguide/artObjectDetai...

I saw and approached the hungry and desperate mother . . . She told me her age, that she was thirty-two. . . . that they had been living on frozen vegetables from the surrounding fields, and birds that the children killed.

Dorothea Lange's poignant image of a mother and her children on the brink of starvation is as moving today as when it first appeared in 1936. Lange made six exposures of this striking woman, who lived in a makeshift shelter with her husband and seven children in a Nipomo, California, pea-picker's camp. Within twenty-four hours of making the photographs, Lange presented them to an editor at the San Francisco News , who alerted the federal government to the migrants' plight. The newspaper then printed two of Lange's images with a report that the government was rushing in 20,000 pounds of food, to rescue the workers.

I managed to get my child to school on time.(thats always the biggest accomplishment of my day) Then I drank an entire pot of coffee. After that, I went down to the local coffee cafe' and drank another 20oz of coffee with a friend while we planned our takeover of the world...(its still a work in progress) I then spent the next few hours doing paper work and making phone calls. Oh, I also went to see a few new foreclosures on the market. After that I came home and thought about doing some laundry...it didn't go any further than that...I just thought about it. Finally I made some dinner, helped with homework, played some guitar hero (with the child), read a little, put the child to bed....and now I am here... what did you do?

You can google this easily, but her greatest accomplishment was bring the plight of migrant workers to the attention of the public with her photography.