MINNEAPOLIS: Where is this statue located now?

When the Foshay Tower opened there was a statue called "Scherzo" (a water nymph.) It ended up in front of Charlies' Cafe Exceptionale and student nurses from St. Barnabas would come down and up a uniform on it every year. When Charlies closed where did the statue go? Last info I have said it went to a private collection. Here is a picture in case you might recognize it. http://events.mnhs.org/TimePieces/SourceDetail.cfm...

Favorite Answer

First, thanks for the question....To cut to the chase, I have looked for over an hour and can't find the correct answer.

If memory serves me, you are probably correct in thinking that the statue went to a private party. I recall a special on public television about Twin Cities landmarks that are gone and they made mention of that.....The best I could find is a blog that also said the statue was in private hands. (#6 link)

Now, if you are bored, read the rest of my answer--it's just for fun!

Your appreciation of Minneapolis landmarks triggered some fond childhood memories (1st link is a nice slide-show of the Foshay Tower in its glory.)

Then, thanks to you, I went on a search and alas, found articles that I enjoyed, but failed to give me the answer you seek. It has only made me hungry and nostalgic!

For example, that FAMOUS Potato Salad recipe from Charlie's.... (I'll share that with you 'cause it is GOOD...)

Charlie's Cafe Exceptionale Potato Salad

Though many recipes have appeared for this potato salad, this is the first to be authorized by Louise Saunders, who ran the Minneapolis restaurant after her husband's death. The restaurant used a homemade mayonnaise, but a good bottled brand can be used.

Homemade mayonnaise:

1 pasteurized egg yolk

1 tsp. dry mustard

1 tsp. sugar

1/4 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

2 tbsp. lemon juice or vinegar, divided

1 c. vegetable oil

Salad:

5 medium potatoes, freshly cooked and peeled

1 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. white pepper

2 tbsp. or more chopped green onion

1 to 2 tbsp. finely chopped red bell pepper

3 hard-cooked eggs, diced (or more to taste)

To make mayonnaise: In a blender, combine egg yolk, mustard, sugar, salt, cayenne pepper and 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar. Blend at medium speed, adding oil in a thin stream until mixture thickens. Add remaining lemon juice or vinegar. Makes 1 3/4 cups.

To make salad: Dice cooked potatoes into a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add green onion, red pepper and eggs. Stir in about 1 1/4 cups dressing, adding more if needed. (Charlie's was a very creamy potato salad). Mix gently. Chill 2 hours

Third link:

The two best restaurants in the Twin Cities then were Charlie's Café Exceptionale, famous for its potato salad and kitchen-sink roast beef sandwiches, and the Blue Horse in St. Paul, which every year staged Esquire magazine's annual Gourmet Dinner so diners could have a taste of how the swells in New York City ate. In those days, most of us had never heard of pasta, Section, Cabernet, free-range, organic balsamic, extra-virgin, tapas, or dim sum. Italian cuisine came in three varieties: spaghetti, ravioli and lasagna, and one color: red. The gastronomic revolution was underway on the coasts, but in the Twin Cities, we could only watch it on public television, on Julia Child's cooking shows.

So off in a different direction: (4th link) Unfortunately, my copy of this book is somewhere in my book collection so I can't pull it out--but check out this book at the library or Half Price books--IF you LOVE the restaurants of days gone by in Minnesota.

Yikes! 5th Link: Found a picture of the nurses with the statue...gee, you'd think I could find out WHO HAS THE STATUE!?!

Best of luck and see you at Peter's Grill (in the Foshey) for a cup of coffee....

Anne

I can't seem to find any information, but the Minneapolis Public Library would probably be a good place to check. The reference librarians there are wonderful and the library probably has information in their archives.

please check your other questions,urgent!!