PR
Lv 7
PR asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 1 decade ago

How to make grass darker without much growth in blade length?

We have a nice lawn and we fertilize pretty often. We water regularly, too. This spring, we also removed the excess thatch which helped get more oxygen to the grass, and kept it from starting out "lumpy" which seems to normally occur in the first springtime growth. It looks good, but I would like to know if anyone knows what you can use to give bluegrass the darker bluish look, wider blade growth, without the excessive length. Maybe this is not even a fertilizer question, but thought I'd give it a try. When we fertilize, it seems to cause more growth in the blade length rather than the width. I have noticed that the blades are often wider where there is more space between plants, thus more oxygen. Anyone have any experience with this?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Chelated iron will darken a KBG lawn without stimulating top growth, but its color affect is short term. If your soil is neutral to alkaline, sulfur can also darken KBG without stimulating top growth. Sulfur has a much longer term affect on color than iron. Finally, plant growth regulators applied to KBG can reduce the growth rate. Some of these regulators do so through cell size reduction (Primo Maxx) that helps to concentrate the green color into a smaller blade. Though regulators will not increase blade width, they can darken a KBG lawn, reduce the rate of top growth, stimulate root development and increase overall density.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Iron will green a lawn without adding growth like fertilizer.

• pansy
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Dougal, never take any any heed to the wise words of any member of An Post. I should know, I work for them. They have not got a clue what they are talking about. Too busy sniffing the glue from the stamps. All the men are bald and should be drinking miracle gro instead of Guinness.

• 1 decade ago

Schultz used to make a product called "Iron Green".

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Green food coloring.

• 1 decade ago

Best way to find out what your lawn needs if anything is to do a soil test.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/cumberland/fertpage/soilsa...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.