How to make grass darker without much growth in blade length?

We have a nice lawn and we fertilize pretty often. We water regularly, too. This spring, we also removed the excess thatch which helped get more oxygen to the grass, and kept it from starting out "lumpy" which seems to normally occur in the first springtime growth. It looks good, but I would like to know... show more We have a nice lawn and we fertilize pretty often. We water regularly, too. This spring, we also removed the excess thatch which helped get more oxygen to the grass, and kept it from starting out "lumpy" which seems to normally occur in the first springtime growth. It looks good, but I would like to know if anyone knows what you can use to give bluegrass the darker bluish look, wider blade growth, without the excessive length. Maybe this is not even a fertilizer question, but thought I'd give it a try. When we fertilize, it seems to cause more growth in the blade length rather than the width. I have noticed that the blades are often wider where there is more space between plants, thus more oxygen. Anyone have any experience with this?