after a total hysterectomy, what are the risks of not taking hrt or the necessities of taking them?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

This is not an easy to answer question based on the limited information you give.

If you had a hysterectomy (total with removal of ovaries) and it was due to a cancerous environment, then you may NOT be the best candidate for HRT.

If you had a hysterectomy due to fibroids in the uterus, prolapse of the uterus or reoccuring polyps with a proliferative endometrial lining, then you MAY be a candidate for HRT.

The Women's Health Initiative (WHI) is the largest study to date conducted on HRT.

However I caution you...the first part of the WHI study was conducted on women who were on combination estrogen/progesterone pills. This is the part of the study that found a small increase in breast cancer, as well as concluding that there is NO protection from heart disease on HRT, rather finding that cholesterol levels in women did increase on HRT, thus leading to increased heart disease.

Since you no longer have a uterus, you do NOT need a combination of estrogen/progestin. You only need the estrogen component. WHI did do a second study on ERT (Estrogen Replacement Therapy), but stopped the study early based on the inconclusive and confusing results of the HRT (combination pill) study.

Here is a good link for you to check out...

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/whi/

There are risks and benefits associated with every drug and even supplements that we take. Figuring out what is more benefical then risky for you needs to be done between you and your physican.

I also recommend that if you don't have a gyne that knows about hormones, that you invest the time to finding one to consult with you who does. It can make a huge difference.

Really, HRT or ERT is not the enemy it's made out to be...again...risk must outweigh benefit in taking medications.

Know your risks and your benefits and ask ALOT of questions.

Source(s): Women's Health RN
    • Login to reply the answers
  • TeriR
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

This is a very difficult question because the research on it is very contradictory. Some of the studies say HRT can help prevent heart attack, bone loss, etc. Others say that HRT, especially the combination of estrogen and progesterone, increase the risk of breast cancer and heart attack. Probably the best way to make a decision is to sit down for a good conversation with your doctor to weigh the research, other risk factors you have, etc. After having that discussion with my doctor, since I've had a heart attack, I decided to discontinue HRT. Good luck in making a wise decision.

• 3 years ago

Once a lady is going via menopause (ordinary or triggered via hysterectomy), her possibilities for breast melanoma broaden dramaticly. If you don't have any loved ones historical past of breast melanoma, there should not be a concern with the cure. However, if you happen to do have the loved ones historical past, I would not take it. My sister had breast melanoma in her 30's and as quickly as she was once identified, I give up taking the capsule due to the fact the hormones broaden the threat. Go on your regional wellness meals retailer and ask some of the females there. My mom discovered a ordinary comfort for the indicators of menopause that did not broaden her possibilities. Also, speak on your health care provider approximately choices to the HRT.

• 4 years ago

If you wish to get rid of the uterine fibroids with simple to apply ideas and techniques you then need the Fibroids Miracle program from here https://tr.im/wTZGQ

Fibroids Miracle use a variety of normal solutions and a multidimensional approach to get rid of uterine fibroids, reduce their recurrence, increase fertility, provide the human body back in a hormonal stability, and fully remove all symptoms such as for example pelvic pressure and pain, bloating, vexation, bleeding, and pain during sex.

The fibroids miracle is among the easy stay more skillful therapeutic methods of the fibroids wellness conditions.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

harmonies are almost a must in this area.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.