PC problem???

Hi my friend has just text me for help with their PC. My friend said that when he turns the PC on it loads up to the windows logo then the screen goes blue with loads of weird letters and numbers on the screen. He has tried it in safe mode but it wont work. He thinks it is a hardware problem. He hasn't... show more Hi my friend has just text me for help with their PC. My friend said that when he turns the PC on it loads up to the windows logo then the screen goes blue with loads of weird letters and numbers on the screen. He has tried it in safe mode but it wont work. He thinks it is a hardware problem. He hasn't downloaded or deleted anything. It was working fine yesterday. Anyone got any suggestions?
Update: my friend has tried to run windows from disk but its still not having it. He's on windows XP pro
Update 2: My friend got his pc working by using his brother's hard drive so obviously thats were the problem is.