djoldy asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

How do you break a dog from attacking cats?

We own 3 cats and are now "fostering" a neglected dog that needs to be taught not to attack our cats. Any suggestions?

Favorite Answer

I have 3 cats a puppy and the same problem. I have been searching for an answer to the problem. Two which I have been using with my pets are when you have the dog and cats come into the room give the puppy a lot of praise so that the dog associates the cats with being rewarded. The other training technique is a little more stressful, you hold one of the cats on one side of the room then have the dog on the opposite side in their leash. Have the dog sit next to you once the dog is able to sit still and not try to run to the cat give the dog a treat and move closer to the cat, only move once the dog remains still. Eventually you will have the dog and cat meet this wil take a few days its not a quick fix. Hope this helps good luck!

• Unless the dog is a puppy I don't see how you will successfully break the habit of attacking. You may have to keep the animals separate. Maybe the dog needs to be on a long chain or doggie run whilst outside at the same time as the cats.

Unfortunately many dogs are natural predators to small animals like cats and possums.

Also if the dog has been neglected, it may have mental issues, lack of trust, violent territorial feelings, general aggression etc. Maybe it would be better to find another home for the dog as your cats have first dibs on your house and love.

The safest thing would be to separate the cats and the dog. There are some dogs that are prone to other animal aggression, and generally that is not something that you can change. You may also want to get the advice of a trainer. You can look at www.pbrc.net for some tips on dealing with animal aggressive dogs.

you train it the same way you train it to do anything else.

if its a pup you wont have too much problem.

if the dog over 1 or 2 years old, theres going to be major problems. unless you have a LOT of spare time and energy and quite a few months, then its not going to happen.

you can try to introduce them very very very slowly. itll probably take a few weeks just to get the dog used to the sight of the cat let alone being in the same room with it.

I suggest you simply keep him and the cats seperate.

.

Kudos to you for fostering but maybe you shouldn't have taken in a cat agressive dog to foster. When I foster I have to make sure I foster a dog that is cat friendly because I have 4 cats.

I don't have any suggestions but good luck to you.

Don't let them be in the same room unless you can watch him, then when ever he looks like he is thinking about the cat correct him with a firm NO. Then if he continues to ignore the cat give him a treat and tell him good boy.

whenever the dog attacks the cats you attack the dog so it will know that if it attacks the cats an attack is coming from you!

the biggest chances of fostering them is when theyre pups and kittens while they have poor eyesight try to mix em, offcourse without the parents, theyll be friends each other until they grow old.

I have a puppy that does this to my two cat he's a Brittany it how they play for puppies we separate them and he cries and whines to get them to play it doesn't work maybe when he's older.

Basically, it needs to learn that cats are not for nunting.Slowley introduce him/her to the cats-very slowley.