Est.1992 asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

im so tired of this i am ttly losing it?

ughh i think im about to lose my mind back in octber i was diganosed with deppression and anxitey i was started on meds that didnt work and i have switched meds like 3 times sense and gave them and awful long time to work im so misserible nothing is helping i feel like im losing my mind i mean i dont feel real i feel like if i say somthing i just didnt say it and stuff i have no clue how to explain whats going on in my mind everything i think about like my brian over reacts or something like that and i feel like i cant think clear and all ad theres so much more missery this dont even feel like anxitey i feel like no one understands what im going through i mean i have had to quit school its runing my life i need this to go away and i have nightmares about this and when i wake up it makes me feel even worse all day i see a pshic but hes not hellping can anyone tell me if this is anxitey and if or when is this going to go away and what did u take that really helped without beig a zombie

Favorite Answer

It sounds like you would benefit from seeing an experienced psychiatrist who will see you frequently for awhile until your meds are stabilized. Or, if you don't have that kind of access to good mental healthcare, you might look for a clinical social worker in a community organzation, or a private practitioner, regardless of whether you can pay or not. psychologytoday.com has listings of counselors by state. Hopefully it can help you find someone who specializes in treating depression. The social worker/counselor cannot prescribe medication, but the person can be a go-between and advocate for you, and the person can help you learn more about managing your mental health.

But, medication is simply one aspect of a whole program you can develop to manage the depression and anxiety. Some professionals think that regular talk therapy is as important as medication. Also, I don't know if you're a woman, but often times hormonal fluctuations in the course of the menstral cycle will mean that a medication that works one week, might not seem to work as well the following week.

Also, it sounds like your depression is becoming more serious and that it's wearing you down, so you're becoming more and more isolated for a support system and detached from reality as a means of coping. If you are drinking alcohol or using illegal or unprescribed drugs, you could be further complicating your condition. In one of my worst periods of depression/anxiety I was drinking more and more to "take the edge off" of my anxiety, and to cope with the depression. What I learned is, while the alcohol helped me escape momentary discomfort, it was really making my condition worse in the long run. I couldn't get the depression under control until I stopped drinking.

All that said, what is really important to remember is that medication is one of many ways of managing your mental health. Some experts believe talk therapy is equally as effective and that meds and therapy work best together. Over the years, I've become a believer in natural methods of managing depression and anxiety. I find there's a lot of truth i the saying, knowledge is power. The more I've educated myself about depression/anxiety over the years, the more I understand what is going on with me and what adjustments I might need to make.

You might also try:

-30 minutes of morning sunlight per day

If you can't get outdoors, look into getting a lightbox (see www.sunbox.com) which simulates natural light. If you can't afford the treament or tools like this, and your health insurance won't cover the costs, I'd suggest contacting your local government rehabilitation services agency. They typically have the resources that you might not be able to access on your own. I'm using them now in my city because I don't have health insurance, and they have been a life saver.

-There are lots of online & community based support groups for people who struggle with depression, anxiety and related conditions. If you don't have the energy to look into these things, take them to a social worker and let that person help you.

-Nami.org will give you information about resources in your immediate community. When I'm depressed, it is all I can do to get out of bed every day, and without help I'd never get the services and tools I need to get back on track.

-Also, because I basically push people away when I'm depressed, I don't want to call those same people for help. That's why a support network of folks who understand the struggle and who will push and support me to take the steps necessary to get back on track, can be critical for getting. You can find community support groups for depression and anxiety or just groups who do activities you like to do at meetup.com

-listen to rhythmic music, especially when you feel sluggish

-get massages as often as possible

-help someone else who is struggling, it can be spiritually uplifting

I hope that you won't give up. I know it can seem like it will never get better, but there are answers and there is hope, and it can get better. PEACE

Source(s): www.sunbox.com www.psychologytoday.com www.nami.org

well for one thing, i know this is like a therapist's answer, but it's true. Your not alone. I'm like in the exact same phase (i posted a question about it) and i'm thinking of suicide, or running away then coming back home just to kill myself. But don't do that. You might think that no one would care, or no one would know how to react. But it makes such a huge difference just to have someone listen to you. And try posting a question again, except make it clearer on why your depressed, etc. But yea, anyway, try and fix the things you can change, and try and ignore or deal with the things you can't. I'm not sure what anxitey is, but you're definitley depressed. And i think you just need a day to just literally soak up the sun (with sunscreen) and just sit there all day, with some music or book if you'd like. Just do something to calm your mind, and help you stay relaxed so you can deal with your problems with a more confident mind. Try taking up yoga or something meditative like that. Hope i helped...even though my depression has a totally different source, I hope if i live through my depression, i'll still be seeing you around on yahoo answers.

• Fay

Don't pig out so much, exercise regularly maybe 30 minuets every other day. It doesn't have to be strenuous, start easy then get more active. If you get hungry eat a pear, or some yogurt. and instead of eating 3 large meals a day, eat 5 or 6 small ones. Running works best, it will improve you endurance and is probably the best way to lose weight. Fatty food are OK ONLY IF you have then occasionally, meaning have Burger King every 2 weeks or so. Try and go really long without eating stuff like that. I work out every other day and run about 4 miles, it started taking about 40 minuets but I'm down to 25. But this will only work if you eat healthy, stay active don't just exercise, instead of shopping online go to the mall, instead of driving to the car wash do it your self, instead of driving to the Chinese restaurant 5 block away walk there. But remember don't stay on an easy exercising trend too long progressively get tougher, that the only way it'll work. IMPORTANT: when you reach your goal weight, keep on working out, or it'll just go back up again. Don't stop the idea is to keep the weight down. This is a continuous process.

• C J

Dear Katie,

Believe it or not, I've had the same problem as you, since I was a kid. I'm 43 now. I've taken most of the anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs. Some of them take the edge off a little bit, others really don't help a whole lot.

You didn't list what you're taking now, so it's going to be harder for me to figure out if that is your problem or not. Some of the anti-depressants don't help you, and that is a fact. Many of them actually have some bizarre side effects, and the nightmares are one of them.

I'm also not sure where you got your prescription meds from. Regardless, you have to go to a competent physician and tell him/her that the meds you are currently taking are causing you bad side effects, and are not addressing alot of your problems. I know you are frustrated because you've had to switch meds alot, but sometimes you have to go through a few of them to see what is going to work, and what is not.

Depression, in many cases is due to a chemical imbalance. It's not necessarily the circumstances in your life that's causing the symptoms of depression, although it appears on face value to be the sole cause. You life circumstances certainly are not helping to make things smoother, but you have to understand that life is going to have it's hardships and other people in life deal with them from day to day, that's just part of living. In your case, I don't think you have a problem handing what life doles out to you, but you do have an imbalance of some kind which causes you to react negatively towards them. And it's quite frustrating, I know.

The advice I can give to you is this :

1. Again, tell your doctor that you are getting bad side effects from your meds. And tell him/her that they are not doing the job that they were intending to do. Perhaps another change in meds will help you, or an altered dosage.

2. Try St. John's Wort, which is a natural suppliment you can get at any vitamin store. It has natural ingredients in it, that some drug companies use to combat depression, and it usually works very well to help mellow you out a bit, and clear up your thinking. I know that sounds too easy, but I can tell you firsthand that they do help. They're not the magic pill, but they do help you, and they're non-prescription, and non-addicting.

3. Systematically deal with one problem at a time. I know this is hard, but when you're in your current state of mind, you tend to want to tackle ALL problems that are on your plate at one time, and when you cannot, you will reach the peak of frustration, and go further into depression. Take a problem, and deal rationally with it. Once that is done, then go for another, etc. I know that sounds simple too, but you can do it, and it will lighten the burdens on you a bit. You will never solve all of lifes problems, but you can change how you go about dealing with them, especially when you are in a state of depression.

4. You must force yourself daily to do something nice for yourself. Go somewhere nice. Be with positive people. Even for a short time, put yourself in an environment where you can smile. It will do wonders for you, and clear your head.

I know you're going through a tough time, and I truly do understand. I've been there. I wish I could tell you to what extent this condition brought me down, but there is no room here. All I can tell you is, life does get better. You cannot dwell on this 24/7. In spite of your medical problem, you can still live a good life, and live it with joy. Trust me on that.

• hey,

im not here with answers, just the whole thing of 'you're not alone'. i've suffered with depression on and off since i was 9, not had an easy life and it's not got any better, i have a number of health problems seperate and related to this, being seeing a counsellor on and off for years but to no help, i've refused meds, st.johns wort affects the pill so that's a no go and i feel like i dont know life; constantly detatched, unreal and hazy. i cant even decide if i want toast or cereal in the morning.

i hope you find your way, i really do.

good luck.

Medicines aren't always the answer. And I think in your case you'd be better off without them. From your writing I can tell you are very depressed and lonely. I can only imagine how sad your life must be. I wish I could help. I know that all you need is to be loved, and in such a way that you feel secure and comforted by this love. But since it seems no one in your life is there to express this to you on a genuine level, you'll have to learn to love yourself. Look into the mirror each morning and find something positive to say to yourself, like you have beautifull eyes or a lovely smile. And remember to go out of your way to be friendly towards other, because how you reflect yourself is how others will see you. You have to let your Light shine from within. You'll need to find a friend, someone who is as lonely and sad as you are. Go out of your way to see this happens. Honey, without a friend to confide in your life will be miserable. I don't know what is causing this anxiety that you are having. But I suspect it stems from something bad that happened to you earlier in your life. Try to find it's roots so you can study it and find away to lesson it. Remember mind over matter. You can calm yourself down in any situation once you know what is causing your anxiety. I hope you find help. If you don't like the doc you are seeing find a new one or a counselor. Eventually you'll find one you can connect to. And that is what's important. In order to find help you half to be able to trust and confide in them. Good luck darling.

Most people that are diagnosed with anxiety and depression are bipolars. When you are a bipolar the anti-deppresants will make you more depressed and the anti-anxiety will make you more manic or stressed. You will need a mood mediating drug such as depakote or lithium (not used very often) you need to talk to a doctor that specializes in bipolar.

i would go see a psychiatrist or psychologist. u could be repressing some incident that happened earlier on in ur life, leading to thes bizarre things. just, get professional help, and they will know what to do.

See a doc.