iluvmylife asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 1 decade ago

Does lighting dark hair change the texture or the healthy condition of your hair?

I have naturally black hair. I dye it black now because I want to cover the grey coming in. I am thinking about coloring my hair brown with highlights. Everyone I talk to says that I shouldnt do it because it will change the texture of my hair and it wont look as healthy because they will have to strip my color and then dye it. Does anyone with dark hair know about this. Has anyone had a bad experiance with stripping your dark color so that you can change the color to something lighter? Do you have a good experiance with lighting? If your a colorist I am interested in your opinion too.

Favorite Answer

yes,you will be bald in time .

ok...since you color it BLACK... (bad bad bad) it will be a long and grueling process to remove the black and yes it will damage your hair... no one's hair is naturally black, it is dark brown... i am a colorist and i have colored my hair black when i was experimenting before i was even licensed... its very very bad.. in the sense of texture, your hair will feel drier and probably more rough... but if the colorist does a good job... it wont feel so so bad... You cannot lighten it yourself.. this is a project of hours and of alot of work and ONLY A PROFESSIONAL should do... now... if and when you decide to lighten it, instead of coloring your roots black, just color it brown so as it grows out.. its not black, and tto facilitate the hair health, deep condition your hair once a week and get a trim every 6-8 weeks so as your hair grows out, you cut the dead stuff off little by little and that way you dont lose your length... hope this helped

Source(s): professional

If you've been coloring it yourself your stylist will have to color balance it to stop the box color from processing anymore (store bought colors never stop processing!!). This will not damage your hair too much, it's usually a small amount of lightener mixed with shampoo. If you don't want your overall color to be too much lighter, they can then just apply the color. Try to stay within two levels to what your hair is now to avoid damage. As for the highlights, if your stylist knows what she's doing and you take care of your hair, you will be fine. Use a strengthening shampoo and only wash every other day. Minimize heat you put on your hair and you'll be fine. I say go for it!

Source(s): stylist

Stripping the hair is not a good idea. I did it and now I don't have as much hair as I used to. I went back to my natural color and I'm still losing hair. I wouldn't recommend it.

Any kind of bleaching or lighting your hair damages your hair making it more course, fried and not as healthy. Dying your hair darker damages it too..but not as much.

Source(s): One of my friends mom is a really good stylist