computer care?

I just bought a vista computer, and i want to keep this computer running fast and like almost new. I use disk clean up and disk defragmenter once a while. Are there other ways?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If you dont want to upgrade hardware,There are some softwares you can download to speed up your computer.

First,You should Fix Corruption and Errors within your registry.The registry is a main part of your computer's Operating System. With time, as you use Windows and install and uninstall programs, your registry will get congested and full of errors. So your computer could slow down. So, if you can clean it up this problem can be solved.Sometimes you can speed computer up by 300%. To clean up registry,You can download a software called regsitry cleaner---Clean registry,remnant,corrupt files and temp files,history,cookies,etc.. This site:

http://speed-up-pc.info/index.php?t=speedpc

lists top 5 registry cleaner,you can download and scan for free.

Second,Get rid of spyware/adware in your computer.spyware/adware hamper your computer's performance.It use system resources and slow your computer down.

So, to speed up your slow computer, use a registry cleaner software and clean your registry files first. It will make all the difference, and provide you with the immediate fix you need for your slow computer.Then,download a good anti-spyware to get rid of spyware/adware in your computer.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes. You need a good backup of the computer, which, unfortunately is difficult to do unless they supplied you with the operating system CD.

The reason is that you need to reinstall the operating system about once per year to keep it running at maximum performance, according to Systems Engineering school. The problem is that Windows uninstallers do not completely remove a program from the registry, or the hard drive. That causes an accumulation of "junk" in your registry/hard drive. Also, since Windows is a Virus Magnet and, even the best antivirus software only prevents about 99% of the virii (most are MUCH less effective), that means you will get infected with virii that you dont even know about. Sometimes these virii can lead to your computer being used as a Zombie for illegal activity, being controlled from another location.

The only good, certain method is to get a good, secure operating system instead, such as www.kubuntu.org (Feisty Fawn), which is far more secure and stable than Windows.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Easy way is go to download.com, and download a few tool & kit with all the application must have for PC set-up. I think its about 20 of them. U need them sooner or later. Try Diskeeper and registry mechanic. Good Luck

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

dont install too many freeware/shareware programs that can be downloaded free many of this slowdown your computer, only use one antivirus i recomend AVG this wont slow down your computer like other antivirus programs

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

yes, use good antivirus kit AVG, AVAST, NOD32..,don't use Norton, or Mcafee.

do virus update at least one a week.

buy a "dust off" can of compressed air...and open your computer blow out all dust. (2 times for month)

• 1 decade ago

Image the machine and restore the image once in awhile.

Use ghost or acronis.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.