How do I get rid of that "old book" smell?

I have some old books, between 30 and 70 years old. How do I get rid of that "old book" smell? Any other tips for keeping them in order without spending too much? No, I'm not going to be putting them in a climate controlled, tinted glass vault.

Favorite Answer

Very light dusting of sodium bicarbonate powder on the pages and leave for a couple of hours should help although test for colour fastness in an inconspicuous place first

Failing that put em in the open air (dry day) in a box full of pot pourri will disguise it a bit too

Fresh air and sunlight often take care of musty, or mildly moldy books. I've also put them in a bag with a used (don't use a fresh one! The new ones are too oily.) dryer sheet and set it by a sunny window. I don't know how "archival" these ideas are, but they've worked on my old books.

I really like that smell, but if you don't...

just put them in the freezer for about 30 minutes. It should help!

Keep them in a room with a DeHumidifier?

www.shopbrodart.com

Source(s): Former employee. They have good stuff for books.