small
small asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

Are men and women so different that it needed the most potent force of sex to bring them closer to each other?

Are they inherently sort of opposites? Is sex like the powerful magnetic force that makes opposite poles attract each other?

Favorite Answer

It seams to work out that way in the animal kingdom...I'm sure it has some fact, truth and reasoning behind it in human nature.

When we are children we tend to split off into gender groups and as puberty hits we find ourselves wanting to be in the company of and attracted to the opposite sex.

• SOS

That is a great question, Small. You are right about most things, that opposites do seem to attract, look at positive and nehative charges for example. They are probably the most quintessential examples of this. They are atomically opposites and they take to each other with great force.

The example you have brought up is another prime example of this: men and women lusting after each other is a good example of opposites attracting each other.

You must think, though, that sometimes things that are the same attract each other. Look at gays. For the record, I have nothing against them, but if one observes them, one sees that there are counterarguments against the opposite theory. The gays are attracted to each other, and they are the same in sex.

Even though, one must think that there are many kinds of a sex. Some lesbians that are athletic and adventuresome, may be attracted to someone who is more quiet and stable.

So, you may notice that the opposite theory comes into play sometimes, but the same can also take hold.

For the record, also, men and women are not that different; we are all humans, no matter what our gender. We all our intellectually advanced over all other species. There are some minor differences in demeanor, but not anything that is essential to the human existence.

It is not really about sex it is more about procreation and the survival of the human race. The differences in the way men and women are wired are due to the jobs that they needed to perform in order for the survival of mankind. In modern society we don't live in a cave hunting and gathering so it has become about sex.

well...i think love attracts the "opposite poles" and not sex.

"friendship" attracts the "opposite poles"

beauty attracts the "opposite poles"

personality attracts the "opposite poles"

Sex is just something that "sometimes" follows and 'not' necessarily everytime and with everyone.

It is not the force that attracts always...emotions and attributes of a human being attracts "the opposite sexes" most of the times.

But then Lust is always there...and one can agree on the basis of that...on your question. (but it is not everytime)

my opinion!! opinions may differ.

:)

BTW nice question!

No, take it from me.lol

I can be reading someone's answers and i realize i could be falling in love with him. what is sex has got to do with bringing emotions of two people together?

a lot of them walking around round they go (as i am singing 'don't stand so close to me' by Sting) and are all brain dead, where is my desire?, i don't see it anywhere around to ignite me.

so there you go. it is not all about pulling together the drives but pulling in into the deepest thoughts.

I would fragment your question:

1. Agree, men and women are different physically and mentally

2. Don't agree, sex isn't that powerful force

3. Semi agree, it brings men and women together, but shortly

I am missing the patient to explain it further...

PS You see one side as you are a man

They are different because they have different roles to play.

The coming together in a sexual act is purely survival of the species - but its nice eh?

• Praxis

time for you to ask a 'bold' question like this one :) you might have hit the nail on the head with this observation. i would agree

YES!! but first find a gal you enjoy to be with if you want to be close to her. Remember though if you just want to get close "keep your distance"!

Yes I do believe that is so on all counts.. Thank God for that.. What a great quesiton!