Police Misconduct?

Everyday on the news we read about Police misconduct, esp the use of excessive force - LAPD is a perfect example of a Dept plagued with Police misconduct.

I have great respect for law enforcement and the tough job they are required to do, but I also realize there are departments and officers that have serious problems.

What do you think some departments like LAPD have these problems?

What do you think we need to do as a society to hold departments and officers more accountable for their actions, while making sure they have the tools to do their job?

Update:

"What do you think some departments like LAPD have these problems?"

Should be:

"Why do you think some departments like LAPD have these problems?"

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

problems such as the ones in the La department are normally caused by 3 key factors

#1 lack of training

#2 lack of management

#3 lack of accountability

there is NEVER a acceptable act of police burtailty , police officers such as my self walk that fine line everyday ,

now while a officer is entitled to use what ever force is required to make the arrest , beating a motorist over the back of the head with a baton is not one of them ,

officers, should never carry them self this way and should be reminded DAILY that all eyes are on them , from the way they wear the uniform to the way they act with the public their actions at all times should be above reproach

Source(s): Pittsburgh Police officer
  • 1 decade ago

I think it is burnout.

Soldiers call it combat fatigue or PTSD......

Think about it, how many times can you have scum crackdealers shoot at you, etc then they get off on a loophole, illegals starting to assault, then defend yourself, then you get in trouble.....

A human can only take so much before they crack.

• 1 decade ago

We need to weed the bad apples out, and keep them out.

Remember, one bad apple spoils the whole bunch.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.