How do you figure out an amount of a base (say NaOH) required to destroy a base buffer capacity?

Given: NaH2PO4 6.5g and Na2HPOa 8.0g per 355ml. I found The PH, which was asked, to be 7.22. Then when .01 mol of HCl was added, the PH was 7.17. I need help with how do I go about solving how much Sodium Hydroxide is it going to take to destroy the buffer? Thanks in advance.

Favorite Answer

It is difficlt to quantify and standardize when we can say that a base buffer can be destroyed. Basically, more amounts of NaOH could destroy it, but if you want to be specific, you can use the Hendersson-Hasselbach Equation:

pOH = pkb + log([conjugate acid]/[base]). Plug in the values and you get the pOH change. Note: the conj acid and base are in terms of Concentration.

No More Heroes by The Stranglers (Leon Trotsky, William Shakespeare) Bigmouth Strikes Again by The Smiths (Joan Of Arc) Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others by The Smiths (Marc Anthony and Cleopatra) Edit - Perry Mason by Ozzy Osbourne The Number Of The Beast by Iron Maiden (inadvertantly based on Caesar Nero) Stand And Deliver by Adam & The Ants (Dick Turpin) Sid Vicious Was Innocent by The Exploited