Do you know anyone who has commited suicide...did you try to stop them?

Favorite Answer

My best friend in high school did. I had moved away and talked to him that night after school. He was really depressed and not sure what to do. Never did he give me any sign that he was thinking of suicide though. The next morning I got an email from his mom letting me know that he had overdosed late the night before. I was devastated.

I have some expert knowledge here as I worked at a home for troubled boys for a while. Also, my ex threatened suicide on a couple of occasions. If you are around someone who threatens suicide take them seriously. The old saying that those who threaten suicide are not serious is wrong. Your first step is to calmly call the police. A person can be hospitalized up to 96 hours to determine their mental health if admitted by the police. This serves a couple of good things. It gets a troubled person help and it covers your butt. The benefit of getting help is obvious. Covering your butt id good too because you are most likely not a mental health professional and you could save yourself from investigation and possible civil (and even on rare occasions, criminal) liability. However, if I only can get one point accross: TAKE THEM SERIOUSLY IF SOMEONE THREATENS SUICIDE!!!

I never knew anyone who comitted suicide (thank goodness) but I do know people who have had loved ones do it. The one that sticks out the most in my mind is my best friend's husband and his brother found their father in the closet hanging by a belt when they were kids.

Unfortunatley I have lost a few friends through suicide.

It is something that is difficult to stop, if the person is intent on their course of action, no matter how much reasoning or empathy given, its the mind set of the individual that is in control.

• ?

To many ! Including my grandmother when my Dad was 9 years old. I stopped one, a man I knew was threatening to shoot himself at my house . I could not get to the phone it was in another room, I talked to him for hours until he gave me the gun. He is still alive today 25 years later. I threw the gun in a river.

Yes.. He was a good friend in high school... I went away to school for a year and when I came back I found out that he hung himself..

no, not now. I knew two but thy are dead now. I didn't know they were going to do that so was not able to help them either way.

Other than that there have been several that I knew who they were but not very well.

Not nice but then many do this.

I had a cousin who did without warning~

I do. Three people. I had no idea.

My husband, he didn't exactly give me warning....