Millennium Park....and what else?? Any ideas...?

Okay...I have this situation. I don't live in Chicago, but I do live close enough to make a day trip to enjoy the city. My ex is coming to see me the first week of June and I thought we could try to spend the day enjoying chicago. I've been wanting to see Millennium Park, but was wondering what sights are also close enough that maybe we could just enjoy a nice summer day walking to different destinations. Any ideas?

Favorite Answer

You could start off at the far south end of Grant park at the Museum Campus. There's the Field Museum, the Shedd Aquarium and the Adler Planetarium. All three are close together so you won't have to walk much. There is an admission charge to each one but you can buy a City Pass that gives you a discount.

After that, walk north through the park to Buckingham Fountain. Depending on what time of day you get there it should be on. If it's a hot day, it's great to stand downwind of the fountain and feel the mist. Alternately, you can walk on the other side of Lake Shore Drive near the lake and look at the boats, or take a ride on the shuttle boat that takes you from the Shedd to Navy Pier and back.

If you continue walking north from Buckingham Fountain, you'll pass through the bandstand area of Grant Park. Not much to see here if there's not a concert going on (except the geese that hang out under the trees near Lake Short Drive). They do show movies in the park at night during the summer, but not sure when this begins.

The Art Institute is just on the other side of the concert bandstand. It's always kinda cool to walk around inside and see famous paintings that you may have only seen before in books.

Finally, you'll get to Millenium Park. There a lot to look at here. There's also the Chicago Cultural Center across the street from Millennium Park that has some art exhibits, a small cafe and a pretty nice souvenier shop.

It also might be cool to walk over to State Street to shop or just window shop. you can check out Macy's and H&M has some decent stuff that isn't too pricey.

First off find out what type of things your bf like doing....then look for things around Chicago to do...They have alot of concerts at Grant Park on the weekend starting in June...such as Blues, Country, and etc. Check out Outdoor Film Festival. Here goes a list of websites...http://www.cityofchicago.org/Tourism/ and www.metromix.com

Your ex? I don't wanna know.

Anyway, what isn't there to do? The Art Institute is fairly close. Michigan Ave. is right there. Navy Pier is a short, free trolley ride away. There are a ton of boat rides that take you out onto the lake or down the Chicago River. There are architectural tours.

You name it: you can do it. :)

I would visit the Art Institute of Chicago and Navy Pier. They are both near by if you can drive to them, and they are both very enjoyable experiences. Have a great time, Chicago is my favorite big city! God bless.

Ex coming to see you..... this means one thing.....Super Eight Motel. Then to the Springer Show.

ur home...