Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 1 decade ago

What are people who have Native American blood in them talked to about by the counselor in elementary school?

(I think I remember this happening once, when they did this, but I'm not 100% sure)

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

They are probably talked to about racial discrimination / issues and what to do if they are taunted racially. If they are in the minority in your school, they may feel isolated and may feel that they need to speak to the counsellor to overcome feelings of being alone in a crowd. I guess the problem with being Native American is that they are almost bred into obscurity now (by interbreeding with caucasians etc) and the young Native Americans today may feel pressured to assert their own personalities and ideas of independance by joining gangs, acting out, becoming aggressive, or conversely, they may feel helpless and invisible as part of a slowly disappearing racial group.

• Deb
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Native Americans are known for having the highest suicide rate in America among children, teenagers, and young adults. I am including a full explanation from a website to explain why Native Americans are approached by counselors...to make sure they have someone to turn to.

Suicide costs us more than 30,000 lives each year. That’s almost one person every 15 minutes. And once every 45 seconds someone engages in suicidal behavior. Even if the life is spared, the heartache and pain is so severe that the

spirit may never fully heal.

Based upon the most recent data from the Indian Health Service (Trends in Indian Health, 2000-2001, published in 2004), the suicide rates for American Indians and Alaska Natives are many times the national average for other population groups. For 5- to 14- year-olds, the suicide rate is 2.6 times higher than the national average. And there is an even greater disparity in the later teenage years and into young adulthood. The suicide rate for American Indian / Alaska Native youth aged 15 to 24 is 3.3 times higher than the national average. Suicides are just the tip of the pyramid in examining suicidal behavior among American Indian youth. There are many more nonfatal injuries due to suicidal behavior than there are suicides. It is estimated that there are

13 nonfatal events for every fatality.

We can guide and evaluate programs to reduce suicidal behavior by what we learn about social, educational,

cultural, and clinical factors. Surgeon General David Satcher, shined a bright light on the too-often darkened pain of suicide. He said that we need to work to prevent suicide and suicidal tendencies before they manifest. Indian Country has adopted the planned approach of the Surgeon General’s Call

to Action to Prevent Suicide and is taking active steps to implement it.

• Tizzy
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Hmmm interesting question, I don't know the answer. I don't remember anything like that happening when i was in elementary school. maybe you should go to a native american that you went to school with and ask them.

• 1 decade ago

American indians

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

They talk to them about grants and subsidies available to them.

And their general well being.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

HOW they like their classes, HOW they're doing in them, HOW they like the reservation, HOW do they hunt with bows and arrows, HOW.....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.