Can i use my laptop in USA and Canada?

-I know i will need a plug adapter

-mains here is 220v (Ireland)

-it's a Compaq Presario M2000

8 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    yes You can use it no problem, just need a adapter for the power cord and you are set you usually can get intentaional adapters unexpensive, and the power is like 110/120 volts,

    your power cord can handle 120 to 220v thats what that big block is in the middle of your power cord, but your lap top will not need no more than 120v. of power to run, So my biggest advice to offer is be certain to pack it well for the trip /flight, flights are heck on computers, i travel with mine all over the world every month i am making a intl flight. just be ceratin you have a good case to secure it nice and tight with plenty of cushion, and is a good idea to clean your computer good and then lay like a soft cotton cloth between the lcd monitor and key board when you close it up to pack away , during the trip dust, etc.. which is settled down in your keyboard will result in scrathcing the crap out of your display. bring along a lan cable in case where ur going doesnt supply it for internet connection, how ever wireless is highly available everywhere you travel these days, good luck hope this was some help to you, have a great trip enjoy your time in usa and canada.

  • 1 decade ago

    Check the power supply... if it says 100V-240V or 110V-230V or something like that it'll work off US wall power. If it says 220V and not a range then it's an Irish only power supply and you'll need to buy a US or universal one.

    Don't buy a plug adapter... buy a new power cord. One less thing to have to plug in... or if it's a wall power to kettle lead just borrow one from your hosts.

  • Lapper
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

    You'll need a 110-volt adapter to use electronics in the United States and Canada. If you try to use a 220-volt in a 110-volt socket, it'll work great -- it'll just have half the power it needs to run properly.

  • 1 decade ago

    Use Convert Adapters.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    I managed to use my British DVD player in Jamaica by simply buying a local cable (two-pin mains plug) and Jamaican electricity is the same as US/Canada electricity (110 volts)

  • 1 decade ago

    all you need to have is a :

    adapter which could be easily bought in stores.

    and finally (if needed) a reliable internet source

    these are all that you need its that simple.

    Hope you have using the stunning computer over in those amazing countries.

    Have fun!

  • 1 decade ago

    Why not. U can use it for sure. But b4 connecting know yourself about the current flowing. Bcoz it matters

  • 1 decade ago

    of course you can, as you stated all you will need is a power adapter

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.