Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

Where are all the payphones?

Some of us don't have a cell phone due to "we don't want one"

Update:

I refuse to get a cell phone if I don't need one. I don't want a cell phone just cuz everyone and their brother have one. It's just not practical for me.

25 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

My job took them out because people do not use them. It's no profitable for a co to keep them because of the low usage level. I will always loan my phone to a stranger unless I am over my mins. They rental of the pay phone must be less than total money earned. Sorry hun... Conform or... Borrow my phone!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

State/Province/Country # of pay phones

United States

Alabama 251

Alaska 77

Arizona 225

Arkansas 17

California 3408

Colorado 579

Connecticut 76

Delaware 8

Florida 772

Georgia 378

Hawaii 190

Idaho 778

Illinois 635

Indiana 2297

Iowa 152

Kansas 85

Kentucky 131

Louisiana 38

Maine 36

Maryland 188

Massachusetts 479

Michigan 323

Minnesota 443

Mississippi 57

Missouri 274

Montana 217

Nebraska 39

Nevada 683

New Hampshire 65

New Jersey 226

New Mexico 33

New York 819

North Carolina 244

North Dakota 27

Ohio 1422

Oklahoma 128

Oregon 448

Pennsylvania 3749

Puerto Rico 1

Rhode Island 36

South Carolina 70

South Dakota 1

Tennessee 267

Texas 33446

Utah 690

Vermont 28

U.S. Virgin Islands 1

Virginia 472

Washington 6491

Washington, DC 108

West Virginia 51

Wisconsin 307

Wyoming 104

Canada

Alberta 230

British Columbia 3147

Manitoba 26

New Brunswick 6

Newfoundland 274

Northwest Territories 539

Nova Scotia 317

Nunavut 226

Ontario 9042

Prince Edward Island 1

Quebec 1673

Saskatchewan 27

Yukon Territory 580

Other Countries

Germany 7

New Zealand 9

Pitcairn Island 1

Slovakia 2

United Kingdom 107

Grand Total 78177

• Owning a cellphone is more practical since you can use it anytime you want without bothering anybody else. I think the benefits outweigh the expenses. I don't know if your place has pre-paid phone cards, but here in my place, I can just buy the smallest amount when necessary. It's just important that I load my phone at least once every 60 days - and it's a whole lot cheaper than having land-line phones that demand monthly payments. Also, I can make the call anytime, anywhere without risking my personal safety, as is the case with public phone booths.

• Joy
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

The pay phones are horrible in chicago they got rid of alot of them and the ones they do have are broke, filthy,or cost .75 every minute they are ridiculous.If you lose money in them and call the operator they say they will mail you the money and never do. Had to buy a cell phone.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I was just wondering the same thing. But dude, there aren't many left, so get a cell phone.

• 1 decade ago

payphone are starting to be taken down (stupid idea and reason) because of the upkeep they take, and the 'lack' of need/use

they should keep them up, I have a cell, but sometimes I still NEED the payphone.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

A lot of places have had them taken out because they just are not being used. I guess it just costs the phone company too much money to maintain them.

• 1 decade ago

They're vanishing fast because most people do have cell phones now

• 1 decade ago

im in the uk but there is a shortage of them here too. never has been many but they are taking them all away now. iv got a cell but if you dont want one it could sure be a problem.

• 1 decade ago

because retarde keep trashing them cause they think their cool and funny

tho I think its a secrete goverment mind controle device plan and each one is skillfully im planted in each cell phone we don't know it but they do thats why the phones are gone and we are close to follow

Source(s): my drain pipe oh yeah it talks you just have to know how to listen
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.