birth control/baby query?

if a woman takes birth control and is pregnant, but is unaware of her pregnancy in the beginning, what happens to the baby? will it be born with mental/physical defects?

Favorite Answer

Birth control is made of hormones. The purpose of these hormones is to prevent the lining that the fetus implants in from building up (which may result in lighter periods) and to prevent the maturation of an egg to be released for that cycle. If, while still on birth control a woman still releases an egg during the cycle and it become fertilized it's unlikely that it will be able to implant in the retarded lining growth, however if it does it still runs the risk of not producing enough hormones to counteract the birth control at the time the woman should menstruate. Most women who become pregnant on birth control never realize it because the products of conception are shed during her period. Had the fetus implanted she may experience heavier than usual bleeding and more severe cramping, but nothing that would really tell her she's for sure miscarrying.

Aside from the fetus having to fight the birth control hormones for it's life, they shouldn't affect the baby's overall development, but if you do become pregnant while on birth control, it's a REALLY good idea to stop taking it, which will significantly reduce your risk of miscarriage.

Well nothing happened to my baby, my pregnancy wasn't diagnosed until I was 10 weeks along, I was on the pill the entire time. I gave birth to a baby...

• RJ

If you're on the Pill, it's okay if you keep taking your pill. Stop taking it when you know you're pregnant, but if you're not sure you can still keep taking it. It won't cause defects as far as my doc has told me. Take a test and know for sure. Good luck, be smart.

possibly...not necessarily. a miscarriage could also happen. I have a "birth control" baby and he's perfectly healthy.

you need to check with a medical website.

• misscarriage is a big one