do you beleive that if there wasnt a god there would be a need to creat one?

• beth
    Favorite Answer

Read some of the work by Joseph Campbell. It will get you thinking. Campbell is usually shelved under mythology, but should be under modern philosophy. If you can find a copy, PBS' 1988 "Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth" with Bill Moyer is well worth the time to watch if you want to challenge your brain.

"A fundamental belief of Campbell's was that all spirituality is a search for the same basic, unknown force from which everything came, within which everything currently exists, and into which everything will eventually return." ~ Wiki

"Campbell was fascinated with what he viewed as basic, universal truths, expressed in different manifestations across different cultures." ~ Wiki

It's human nature to try to explain the world around us and our purpose in the world. Religion, Science, or Both. Campbell theorizes that mythology answers a basic need within all of us.

One (wo)man's religion is another (wo)man's myth.

Source(s): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Campbell Have read: The Power of Myth Hero with a Thousand Faces Myths to Live By Pathways to Bliss: Mythology and Personal Transformation
  • 'llysa

No. The issue is not a need for a "higher being" of some sort. The need is for "something to believe in". Therefore, "God" is not the only form that can be, and has been, created. It's just that for most, the conception of a higher power fits in well with the need to believe in "something"... this God concept provides most with a way to control the Universe's chaotic and undependably fickle nature.

Atheists have also created a belief system that explains "all" for them, so no, there is not a *need* to create "a God" or "Gods." But there is a need to believe... to have a belief system, to create meaning in our lives so we have a purpose and a reason to get up again tomorrow.

Yes definitely! Look how many gods and religions there are. There are new ones developing everyday.

Look at Hinduism and Buddhism they are so fascinating.

If we just existed with out the belief of a higher power, what would we be and how would we feel? No offense to ants, but I think it would be like living in one of those ant farms. That is a sad life. Without a belief, we would just live and tunnel, just going through the motions until we die. There would be no love or passion or beauty, or joy. We have religion and gods to help us try to make sense of why we are here and where we will go. It helps us make it through good and bad times. It helps us explain the unknown. If we had no belief we would create one to fill the void.

I would also like to point out what Beth said about Joseph Campbell...........The Power of Myth is Excellent and helped me to understand a lot and made helped me feel more comfortable with my own spirituallity! I had to buy the power of myth for my World Religions Class as well as World's Religions by Huston Smith. Check them out!

Humankind needs to have a set of beliefs to reassure us that there is a sentient being able to control all the things we cannot. The idea of random cause and effect can be quite scary if you consider all the things that can go wrong and destroy the fragile lives we possess. Reassurance that there is an intelligent being controlling the things around us is a necessity for most.

• Man created religion through ignorance of his surroundings.

It was a feeble attempt to explain the hows, whys, and whatnots.

It's amazing to see the multitudes of humans that still buy into "god" and the realm of organized religion.

• bucci

now and back sturdy issues seem undesirable, like a vaccine on the surgeon's place of work. Yeah, it hurts, yet you will no longer get tetanus. Such it somewhat is with love. each and each harm teaches you a touch extra of what you desire in lifestyles, in an significant different, and in love. ultimately, it stops hurting all mutually, and only turns right into a magnificent adventure. you will get there. do no longer supply up!

Yes, because believing in God imbues the universe with meaning. And we simply can not get on in a world with no meaning (at least that's what most people in the world believe).

The truth is, life can be extremely meaningful, even supremely meaningful, without a belief in God.

I consider it my responsibility to make my own life meaningful by following my own values and goals to the max.

No God, never was, go my fellow athiests(spelling?), dont need a god. And so on.

maybe if there was a really really really really really really really bad thing that happened to all of the world like the Apocalypse or something... I dunno ;) I believe in one God, but I'm not sure about that... o_O

Religion is proof of that.

CD