My son is teething & will not eat. What can I do to get him to eat?

He is 18 mo's old and is cutting his molars. All he wants is milk and crackers.

Favorite Answer

Try some other soft foods that are easy on the teeth, like ice cream, oat meal, or mashed macaroni and cheese. Or rub his gums with a teething swab about a half an hour before mealtime. This might numb the area enough so he can eat better. I know it can be stressful to watch your toddler refuse everything you offer, but you're already doing the best you can do. Toddlers sometimes go a couple days on what seems to be nothing but milk and adrenaline. You just keep on offering food, and he'll eventually eat. If you think he's losing weight or getting sick, though, call a doctor to see what to do next.

Dont worry it wont take long before he gets over the teething and eventually will start eating on his own. The milk is good for him and its sound like if he can eat crackers try giving foods like oatmeal, mashed potatoes, a banana mashed in a plate, or get a really, really soft pear or apple and peel half of it and kind of srape off some in a spoon and feed that way. Thats what i'd give my baby and she loved it. Also beans if you blend some beans or smash them with a little water and heat them up a little they like that and this are all good kind of foods.

I put pedia-sure in with the milk or juice my son was drinking when he was going through that so that he would getting a few more calories. It lasted about two weeks and was awful, but I am sure your son will be OK. keep offering things that are soft and cold. Frozen yogurt works well. and preztel rods are good to knaw on.

Give him milk and crackers, but offer him something else at every meal. Cutting molars is torture for those little mouths. He'll be ok, though. He won't starve himself and he won't become malnourished. If you're worried about his vitamin intake, ask your doctor about vitamin drops.

there is nothing you can do to make him eat when he isn't feeling well or in pain. just keep offering him food and he will eventually eat when he feels better. this happens with most children.

give him some cold yoghurt or custard. the coldness will sooth his gums. give him an apple wrapped in a net. so he doesn't choke on big pieces.