Naked in the streets?

Spencer Tunick on June 21, 1999 attempted to photograph 150 nude people in Time Square. He never got that shot because the NYPD arrested him.

Tunick has since photographed thousands of nude people in public forums.

Art or Sensationalism? Should he be allowed to return to New York for that shot, or are we better off without?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hQjFvhROxNI

Youtube thumbnail

&mode=related&search=

• Dave
    Favorite Answer

It's good art. He is not doing it as an erotic measure. Anyone who looks at the photos should know that this is not meant to entice, but to celebrate the human form.

Unfortunately most people here in the USA can't recognize that little distinction.

I believe he should be allowed to carry out his work, and he should push the first amendment issue if he gets resistance.

I think the first time around, he should have tried to get permission to take the photos in the first place, but I think it is art.

He was trying some thing different.

It seems "sensationalized" because of the masses of people he photographs. And as the viewer, you can't help but be a little impressed that he could get so many people to strip for art with out payment or compensation of any kind. And come on it's a bunch of nude people!

But I think overall his images are interesting and achieve his idea of the bodies just becoming part of the landscape.

He has photographed smaller groups and individual nudes too, which are nice too, but his group shots are the best.

As far as New York, the sad part is he can probably get permission easier now since he has a "Name" in the art world now. Since he wasn't as well known before, he probably would have been told no strait out.

We are just too uptight here in the States. He didn't have any problems getting permission, and free publicity in Canada, England, and Australia.

Every chance I can. However, most times I just walk down the street naked. Easier on my bare feet. NiF

Nudes, done tastefully are art. What you describe is more sensationalism.

Hells Yes! Those pictures are way cool! Come on NYC, grow up already!

We show naked people all over tv anyway. At least this is for ARTISTIC PURPOSES. Let him take the photo.

Well, Sybil, do you actually expect the police to be sophisticated? What about the homeless people?

Who wants to see sheep anyway

I thought NYC was sophisticated. What gives?

allow him to do it again