Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Giving - a path to tolerance?

Do you think alms-giving, charity is a path to tolerance, if we stop to think about it? When we help someone in need, we never stop and think about their religion but sadly on many other occasions prejudice manifests in the form of religious/racial intolerance.

Enlightening, intelligent answers are welcome.

God bless you all.

Favorite Answer

I give to others regularly because when I almost died twice,once from a motorcycle wreck and then from blood poisoning.I realized I was saved for a purpose and that was to love and help others and it really changed my life around.I care nothing about others religion or lack of or education or anything,just that they are Gods loving creation and deserve my help or help period to see what you are talking about.I try to walk the walk and hope they too will spread the compassion and love forward to many.If we would all do this there would surely be peace and heaven on earth.God bless you and all

Okay I've tried to give an intelligent answer to this question like three times, but its like a math problem missing a number. I really don't see what charity has to do with tolerance. If charity led to religious tolerance, everyone would love Catholics unconditionally for the immense amount of help they give/gave the poor, especially during the depression in the 30s.If it led to racial tolerance, African Americans would love... everyone else with money? I think (up until recently) its had quite the opposite effect here in the South. It has made certain impoverished groups feel entitled to charity and still hate the givers for having money that they don't. If you want to predict the future, just look at the past... : )

well i can say yes or no. for me, i give and have to find patience or tolerance to accept what people give me. if i can give an example, in my town, some people do not think highly of homosexuals or homosexual behavior. Often i will have people try to lead me away or change my thinking because I'm involved with a woman. Although i don't want to hear it or feel tired of hearing the same thing, i have to humble myself and think clearly. i understand that this person is fearful of my soul being held in damnation and they are only trying to protect this young, ignorant girl. I say it that way because i probably am naive to these people. so giving is a good path to tolerance if you're willing to accept what people try to give you even if you feel that you don't need it. I like this question, God bless!

• G

absolutely, that's why all religious traditions preach it as a good thing

Bible

Galatians 6

9Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. 10Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers

Koran

002.177. It is not righteousness that ye turn your faces Towards east or West; but it is righteousness- to believe in God and the Last Day, and the Angels, and the Book, and the Messengers; to spend of your substance, out of love for Him, for your kin, for orphans, for the needy, for the wayfarer, for those who ask, and for the ransom of slaves; to be steadfast in prayer, and practice regular charity; to fulfil the contracts which ye have made; and to be firm and patient, in pain (or suffering) and adversity, and throughout all periods of panic. Such are the people of truth, the God-fearing.

I don't think that tolerance is possible, sorry so much.

Because to think that there is a sex Market in Heaven is stupid, to say that a murderer paedophile is a Prophet is stupid, cause to put on your knees to worship a God that lives in Mecca when you are against bad called idolatry is stupid, cause to think Mohamed came to this world and immediately told "I am Mohamed the Prophet of God" is stupid, because to say Jesus is Muslim and will come back to lead muslims is offensive, because to think a guy who married for interest one time and 10 after is a prophet and he loved her first wife is stupid, because to say that ISlam is the fastest growing religion is stupid and is to ignore that far from been respected are causing general alienation, because to dress in Europe or America 21 st century like Pakistan ^th century is stupid...and so, somebody can understand people looking for God, theology, religion, Methaphysical content but simply Muslim religion for many people is unbearable from any point of view it doesn't matter how hard you try.

People only give to make themselves feel better, being selfish is not a path to enlightenment.

Source(s): I'm the devil.
  • Afi

No...It's a path to destruction on the part of the receiver.

Right you are!