Is weight loss during pregnancy ok if you are overweight?

I have recently lost about 12 lbs due to walking, working out and watching what I eat. According to my BMI, I am still overwight. I have about 20-30 more lbs to lose before I'm in normal range. I just found out that I may be pregnant. I want to continue doing what I've been doing to hopefully lose a little more so I can be in better shape for giving birth. I don't work out strenuously, just light aerobic type activity. Any thoughts on whether continuing to do this would be a problem? I have to go see the doctor in a couple weeks, I can't go sooner because my insurance won't be in effect yet.....

Favorite Answer

First - Congratulations!

Next, if you have not already - start taking folic acid - 600-800 mcg a day. Or you could purchase some over the counter prenatal vitamins (just at good as prescription ones). But what you REALLY need is the folic acid.

As long as you keep eating healthy and the baby keeps growing it is possible to lose weight while pregnant, but not recommended. Just keep in mind that if you stay the same weight while pregnant you are actually losing because baby is gaining weight and you are not. With my last two I had gestational diabetes and was eating about 2200 calories a day. With #2 I gained 7 lbs and with #3 I lost 5 lbs. The doctors were not as concerned about my weight because the babies were growing and tracking at the right pace.

As for the exercise - For the longest time I was told (by my doctor) I could keep doing what I had been doing. Well, that is until I was in my 7th month and pulled an abdominal ligament and was told "you're pregnant and can't do all you did before". Talk about mixed messages!

Check with your doctor about what target heart rate you should have when exercising - it will be lower than what you have been using. As you get further into the pregnancy your body will tell you if you are doing too much.

Source(s): Mom of 3

Yes, it is ok, if you are losing weight and keeping in shape. They have classes at different gym's for pregnant woman. It is also very common for someone who is overweight to loose weight while pregnant, because the baby will take the nutrition that it needs. Which is also great!!!! Try working out in a pool.... that will also help with the baby, and it will still give you a good workout. Even weight watchers has a program for pregnant woman, Ask your Dr. more when you go to see him.

As long as your eating still and not working out too hard it should be fine. Also check out the internet for different workouts while being pregnant. They have Pregnancy Piloties, that are great, i did them while I was pregnant.

• Tracy

unfortunately, you really don't want to work out to LOOSE weight during pregnancy.

I still go to the gym 5 days a week & take step, cardio, & bootcamp classes, as well & train. HOWEVER, you now have to keep your heart rate lower....ask your Dr. for the highest it should go. Also, after 16 weeks, no abs on the floor.

You will have no control over the weight. It's unfortunate, 'cause I'm right there w/ ya. I worked very hard to loose 50 lbs & when I hit my goal, I got pregnant...but you now have a baby to worry about.

I say as long as you are eating right and your doctor says the excercising is ok, than a weight loss isn't always bad. Just be sure to eat healthy foods, and enough calories to maintain the pregnancy. Talk to your doctor when you go

Best of luck to you!

• Lotus

Exercise is great during pregnancy, and so is a healthy diet. Just make sure you get enough to eat. No dieting! Just eat healthy and avoid processed, greasy foods and fast foods. My doctor told me I could still work out and do moderate cardio, just no lifing over 20 pounds. Congratulations!

I am presently going by way of the equal factor I am obese and I misplaced weight, my general practitioner mentioned it's well that I am loosing weight, and my unborn youngster is doing well. As lengthy because the youngster is doing well and your loosing weight that is good enough. It will probably be pleasant, do not fear and GL! Hope this helped

Try fit clothes

walk a toy poodle for 41 minutes at 2 miles per hour

replace your scale with a tape measure aim for 32 1 2 inches or less for women and 35 inches or less for men

eat chili for a couple of days research shows that chili peppers boost your metabolic rate burning 50 more cals a day