how to get rid of a dry itchy throat?

all last night i had a dry itchy throat and could not sleep it feels like u have to keep drinking water for it to be ok... there has to be something u can do to make it ease up.....

Favorite Answer

I can certainly relate. I get the itchy throat almost every night myself. Sometimes getting up for a nice cold glass of water to sooth it, other times I just need to scratch my throat gently by chewing some soda crackers into tiny pieces and swallowing. Other times, I try using a throat losenge with a bit of a numbing effect to help my throat. Temporary relief I know, but I will experiement with other "remedies" and keep you posted. Sometimes, just getting a little distracted for a while will help with the worst of it. Hope this helps. Take care and get lost of rest. CC

Honey and lemon are said to have throat soothing properties. If the dryness in the throat is causing you a lot of discomfort then drinking a glass of warm water with honey and lemon juice will ease the discomfort. You can also gargle with warm water adding salt to it. This provides relief as it clears the bacteria as well as improves the circulation in your throat area. Having tea can give you relief from your throat pain. Pollution as well chemical fumes from household cleaners and cigarette smoking should be avoided. To cure a dry throat that results from flu or cold, you should drink fluids and take adequate amount of rest and have foods that can be easily swallowed. Once the infection is cured, the discomfort in the throat also goes away. But if you suffer from high fever along with a painful throat for a week or more then it is always advisable to consult a doctor.