What is the difference between the following sentences: 1- I regret having done this, 2- I regret doing this?

Favorite Answer

The difference is tense. #1 means you did it before regretting it. #2 means you still do it while you regret it.

There is no difference. The first sentence is more proper english than the latter. Unless the second sentence is speaking in the present tense then the first sentence would mean I regret that I did that and the second would mean I regret what I'm doing right now. Depends on the tense of the second sentence.

The difference is in the tense. Having done means it is past tense, doing this means present tense.

Source: BA (hons) English Language!

1 is for an action in the past, 2 is for a current action

"I regret having done this" means your state of mind for an action which has already been completed. (past tense action)

"I regret doing this" means your state of mind for action which is being done ( present tense action ).

one is past tense and the other present