Should I become my neighbors godmother?

They moved in about six months ago and have no family ties in our state. The girl is nice enough and friends with my daughter, but I feel that they have taken advantage of me too often with isues like babysitting. Since they have no family here they have asked me to watch the kids after school for about 30 minutes a day. Sometimes we've taken another child to sports practice and games since the parents were working. Anyway, They've asked me to be a godmother and I don't know if I should. I'm really not catholic and I don't want to feel obligated to do things because she is my god daughter. What should I do?

• Misty
    Favorite Answer

It's nice that they asked you...but if you are not comfortable with the responsibility, I wouldn't do it. You are making a vow to help raise the child in the Catholic religion. This is a serious promise and shouldn't be taken lightly.

This doesn't mean that you have to attend church with them or anything, but you would be expected to support the child in faith and be there for minor religious training and religious events such as 1st Holy Communion, confirmation and the like.

Just explain to the parents that you are not Catholic and you are not comfortable making that type of promise.

If your not comfortable with it, don't do it. This is a case where some of the family needs to come in for this special event. It's not right to impose like that. I don't have family where I live either. So when my first was baptized I went to my grandparents and asked them. And 2-4 were close friends I have made. But I always had a family member come to me for this. It's only right.

It's a nice thing for them to ask you, especially if they are very religious and take the position seriously, but if you are not really close personally with the family, I would decline and offer the advice of having an aunt or closer friend be god mother.

If they truly take advantage of you babysitting-wise.... this just may be an attempt by them to get you closer so they can push the kid off on you for longer periods of time.

If what you say about them taking advantage is true, i would suggest keeping away from that.

Well,l suppose they need friends-with no family to back them up- really-to ask you to be godmother is an honour, a sign of respect for you- and an invitation to be part of their family, if you don't wish to be that?politely refuse the offer, and thank them for asking.

Source(s): jo

You shouldn't feel obligated to become someone's godparent. In fact, you shouldn't do it unless you really *want* to do it. Any doubt on your part should count as a "no".

Don't do it

Say no thanks.