Diane asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

Will nitrous oxide on a full stomach make me sick?

I'm going to the dentist this afternoon for my third root canal. I'm on Weight Watchers and have to eat x number of points per day, and I know that after I get out of the dentist I will be numb for six more hours, so I cannot eat anything (other than drink water and maybe a little juice). My plan is to eat my major meal an hour and a half before my appointment, which is at 1:00. Will the nitrous oxide on a full stomach make me puke?

Favorite Answer

I throw up everytime after receiving nitrous oxide even when I didn't eat for 8 hours prior!

You need not be so inflexible with your diet. Just this once, eat a much lighter meal prior to your appointment. The thing that might make you nauseous is that you're scared. Take it easy; you say you've already been there and done that, so you know what to expect. And you can afford to wait until the numbness wears off before you eat again.

All that changes if you're diabetic and on insulin shots. Don't go taking your insulin and then not eat when you're supposed to - which, if you were diabetic, you'd know 'cause you'd have told your dentist about it and he'd have given you specific instructions.

The best person to answer this would be your dentist....just in case he isnt logged on to his pc whilst working Id give them a call.

Good luck!!

it may make you a little sick to your stomach but just to be safe I would eat a btt earlier maybe 2 hours before just to make sure

well i don't think that you will puke!